Impossible to get 120 PSI into my tyre?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MBosh

Hi
My tyre says 120 PSI, but using a Joe Blow pump I find it impossible to get anymore then 100 PSI on the pump gauge. I say impossible because the pump just bounces back up when I try to get more air into the inner tubes. So why does it say 120 PSI when I'd probably blow the inner tube trying? Not that I can get anymore 100 PSI in though because the pump just won't do it..

lazyfatgit

Pump chuck fitted and sealed properly? I’ve got a joe blow and achieve 120psi without difficulty.

If the tyre and rims are rated to 120psi why would the tube blow?

rrarider

Veteran
If the pump handle rises when 120 psi is reached, the non return valve in the pump is faulty. I don't know if that's a replaceable part in a Joe Blow; it certainly is for my Rennkompressor.

rrarider

Veteran
It looks like SJS keep non-return/check valves for various Joe Blow models. I'd give them a call to enquire if they have something suitable for your pump.

Old jon

Guru
No difficulty reaching way more than 120 psi with my cheap Scandinavian floor pump, but that is on 700 x 25 tyres. You may have a pump or pressure gauge fault.

Levo-Lon

Guru
Id think the pump is faulty as suggested

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Are you sure that air is actually going into the tube? If you haven't loosened the end of the valve first AND pressed it in to make sure it isn't stuck (they often DO stick!) then all you would be doing is compressing the air in the pump hose, so it wouldn't be surprising if you couldn't pump much more than 100 psi worth.

Top Bottom