Improvements on a folding bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi Guys. Possibly a bit of a strange ask. But looking at advice to improve the performance of my wife's folding bike. It is a Halfords bought Apollo Tuck. We use the folding bikes when we go away. Beneficial, as they can be loaded in to our Mini and stored there overnight.

The Apollo has a 44t crank and a 6 speed 28-14 screw on cassette. She is finding that even in the smallest cog, that she is left spinning like mad, to keep up with me.

I have looked for cassettes with less teeth, but it seems that 14 is the lowest available for threaded type cassettes. I have in the shed a 48t crank that I would like to fit. However, the Tuck has an American type bottom bracket.

BB (2).jpg

To fit the crank with a suitable BB, I have looked at this . Would I be able to fit a suitable BB for the crank (tapered style)?

Do not want to be spending loads on this i.e. changing for a wheel that can take 7/8/9 speed cassette, new shifters, derailleur etc.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

alicat

Legendary Member
Hi If you don't get many replies, you might ask the question again in the mechanicals forum and make your question more specific - e.g. will this adaptor work for American-style BB?

OP
OP
Hugh Jampton
Hi Guys. Reposted from Projects forum.

Possibly a bit of a strange ask. But looking at advice to improve the performance of my wife's folding bike. It is a Halfords bought Apollo Tuck. We use the folding bikes when we go away. Beneficial, as they can be loaded in to our Mini and stored there overnight.

The Apollo has a 44t crank and a 6 speed 28-14 screw on cassette. She is finding that even in the smallest cog, that she is left spinning like mad, to keep up with me.

I have looked for cassettes with less teeth, but it seems that 14 is the lowest available for threaded type cassettes. I have in the shed a 48t crank that I would like to fit. However, the Tuck has an American type bottom bracket.

bb-2-jpg.jpg

To fit the crank with a suitable BB, I have looked at this . Would I be able to fit a suitable BB for the crank (tapered style)?

Do not want to be spending loads on this i.e. changing for a wheel that can take 7/8/9 speed cassette, new shifters, derailleur etc.

Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
Hugh Jampton
Thanks Byegad. Another, better folder has been looked into. Cost wise, possibly £150 - £200. However, this is not my wife's primary bike. Just one that we take away with us a few times a year. The option above would cost £15 for the Truvativ adapter, possibly a new bb and I already have a crank kicking around.

Just asking if anyone may have had experience with the adapter or can suggest another option. If it looks to be going beyond £100, I would then not bother pursuing it.

OP
OP
Hugh Jampton
Thanks Frank. Sounds like the BB I have will fit then.

@MichaelW2 - On our regular bikes, she leaves me for dust, so this is a kind of petty revenge!

Ajax Bay

Guru
At the rear you have a freewheel (no cassette) and as you say, 14t is the smallest sprocket available.
So the only route to a longer top gear is a larger chainring.
I think that the bottom bracket shell will be a 'normal' 68 mm BSA threaded (1.375" x 24 TPI thread (English)) shell (but you need to check that by careful measurement).
If so you'd be able to fit a UN-300 BB there and go for a square taper chainset. Someone else can give you recommendations about what you might fit at reasonable cost, to operate as a 1x and keep the chain on. I'd be seeking advice from Spa Cycles.
Just bear in mind that her lowest gear will get longer by the same percentage, so might mean walking some hills. A 48/28 gear (for example) would mean most hills (down here in Devon anyway) would not be rideable. But should be OK in Epping Forest.

Last edited:

Scoosh

Velocouchiste
MOD NOTE:
2 threads in different Sections merged into 1, so there might be some overlap of replies.
I'm sure you'll sort it all out ... :okay:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Just bear in mind that her lowest gear will get longer by the same percentage, so might mean walking some hills. A 48/28 gear (for example) would mean most hills (down here in Devon anyway) would not be rideable. But should be OK in Epping Forest.
It only has 20" wheels though, so wouldn't that be more like 48/38 on a bike with normal-sized wheels?

The bike with a 48 tooth ring would probably still require "spinning like mad"... 100 rpm giving around 18.8 mph instead of 17.2 mph. That's an improvement, but is it enough of an improvement?

Reactions: C R
'Tis done. :okay:

I've been looking for one of those Ashtabula (BMX) to BSA adaptors for a folder myself. Never thought about looking on Amazon, so thanks for that.^_^
I'd suggest grabbing one now, they're not always in stock. A few years back I needed one, and Ebay/Amazon UK didn't have them. Luckily a friend in the states was visiting, so asked him to bring one over.

I'll elaborate a little on fitting. They're a press fit, and need to be fitted so that the screws holes are in good alignment. The screws are not used to press the adapters into the frame, just for securing everything in place afterwards. A dab of grease helps with the installation :okay:

Top Bottom