Improving Dual Pivot Brakes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
My old hybrid was equipped with V-brakes that gave consistant, powerful stopping.

I now have a Ridgeback Flight with Tektro 356 Dual Pivot brakes and I find I can not ride as fast or as confidently in traffic as they do not stop the bike quickly enough.

How can I impove them, any suggestions on which brake pads to use?

AlanW

Guru
CharlesF said:
My old hybrid was equipped with V-brakes that gave consistant, powerful stopping.

I now have a Ridgeback Flight with Tektro 356 Dual Pivot brakes and I find I can not ride as fast or as confidently in traffic as they do not stop the bike quickly enough.

How can I impove them, any suggestions on which brake pads to use?

Have they bedded in yet?

More importantly, have they been set up correctly?

As for suggestions for brake pads, very subjective subject!

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
hi AlanW

Yes, well bedded in and adjusted by the LBS. I then checked them according the Haynes manual and everything is correctly lined up.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
v-brakes are designed for mountain bikes, which are heavier, and so need more stopping. you should be able to lock the back wheel on a dual pivot-equipped road bike or hybrid, if not they are either not set up right (excess cable slack, pads set too far from the rim or too worn down) or possibly cheapos.

i've also read somewhere that you can't use v-brake levers with dual pivot brakes, and vice-versa.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
The pads still have plenty of depth, the problem is the time it takes to stop, with V brakes it was far quicker than now, althouth the bike is lighter and has superior quality components.

It seems dual pivot brakes are not as efficient as V brakes and I want to know if there is any way to improve them, such as someone recommending a quality pad to use

I just changed my pads from campag to swissstop as i wasn't satisified with my stopping power. To be honest, they are slightly better although not a massive difference. I think my problem is more getting used to drop bars and braking from the hoods, but perhaps new pads may help you.

Tollers

Tollers

AlanW

Guru
It could just be that the OE brake calipers you have are at the low end of performance?

As a thought and rather than spend upwards of £20 on a complete set of brake blocks, to maybe see little to no improvement, why not replace the both calipers complete?

£50 will get you a double set of 105 calipers which also includes the brake blocks. At least then you are 100% certain that you will have dam good brakes.

Then shove your old ones on e-bay to recover some of the cost?

Can you see my logic?

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
Now that is a good idea, time to spend some money at Wiggle

Dave5N

Über Member
AlanW said:
It could just be...

...Can you see my logic?

He's right. I bought some high end calipers for a road bike and was astonished at how much better they were than their similar-looking predecessors.

Not that I go fast enough to really need brakes.

OP
OP
CharlesF

CharlesF

Guru
I have found it is not so easy to upgrade, I have long reach Tektro R356's and can't find any Shimanos that are compatible

AlanW

Guru
CharlesF said:
I have found it is not so easy to upgrade, I have long reach Tektro R356's and can't find any Shimanos that are compatible

To the best of my knowledge you are not exactly spoilt for choice, as I think that Shimano only do one decent version, ie not options like 105 or Ultegra. But they do exist as I have them on my Rourkie bike.

EDIT I
Here
I think these are them, but I'm suggesting that they are the cheapest, just the first ones I found on Goggle.

EDIT II
Do a search for - Shimano R600 Long Reach Caliper Brake

EDIT III
these are what you need!

Top Bottom