Improving my bike... where to start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Virtual DBP

Hi all,

I have a standard Giant SCR2.0 (it's 3 years old) although in reality sat in my garage for most of that so is pretty much 'as new'.

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-GB/bikes/road/157/15208/

I ride it 30 miles a day and am thinking about upgrading bits and was wondering what you suggest I upgrade first?

I was planning to buy clipless pedals and shoes but have heard several people (and magazines) talk about upgrading wheels first.

any suggestions?

Will1985

Über Member
Tyres and wheels make the biggest difference of anything, but magazines (and certainly I) usually assume that you already have clipless pedals....

So that's tyres, wheels, pedals + shoes!!

jimboalee

Why do you want to go to the expence of a £200 pair of wheels and tyres for the sake of 30 miles a day?

I have been toying with the idea of swapping the wheels on my SWorks for a pair of Corima carbon clinchers, but hey, I only use the bike once a fortnight.

I have the same bike, also for 3 years, and I love it. Only thing I've changed was putting clipless pedals on. It's a great bike.

But by the time you've thought about upgrading wheels, rims, groupsets etc, you might as well just save up and buy a new bike that already has what you want.

Well I think 30 miles a day is good and certainly enough mileage to notice getting a better set of wheels and tyres. What would you suggest otherwise Jimbo?

OP
OP
V

Virtual DBP

Firstly, i'm not sure i do... just curious what the best things are to upgrade on my bike...

however, i'd like to join a cycling club and get quicker. i cycled the edinburgh -> st. andrew's (68 miles), really enjoyed it and as a result would like to start doing some longer distances; but my main reason is so that i can get home quicker and leg power improvements will make some difference, but perhaps mechanical improvements will make up the rest.

Cheers,

Cam

HJ

Cycling in Scotland
I started down the road of upgrading my bike by replacing the rims and tyres when they wore out, then changing the gearing. The last time I had it serviced (at The Bicycle Works) I asked advice on what to upgrade next, the reply was "it would be cheaper to get a new bike", which is interesting as they don't sell bikes and I do buy most of my components from them.

I also enjoyed the Edinburgh - St Andrews ride this year... apart from the clipless moment just after lunch when I cracked a couple of ribs.

If you want to get faster, get in with your local club. Performance comes from riding more unless you're at the highest levels of competition, in which case other people will pay for the parts for you!
As for parts, no need to buy upgrades unless you have worn the originals out. Cheap, well set up, clean and lubricated parts will give you much better performance than expensive ones that aren't.
But if money is really burning a hole in your pocket, I have to say the best upgrade you can get is a track pump.

Randochap

Senior hunter
Don't buy upgrades; ride up grades. ~Eddy Merckx

Having said --or rather, quoted -- that, unless the frame is something special, it's often better to save the dough and invest in a new bike, later on.

In the meantime, follow Eddy's advice.

If you don't have clipless system tho, invest now. That you can carry over.

jimboalee

I looked up the SCR 2.0.

A Tiagra equiped roadbike for £450.

Still a good price for 20 lb without pedals.

Bikeradar reckon the frame is 1580g and fork 546g. A bit hefty to start spending money on replacement componentry.

MichaelM

Guru
Fife eh? Same wet salty roads that I ride on.

Dual pivot long reach brakes imply it will take mud guards.

Put some on, keep riding it 30 miles a day through winter (with or without clipless pedals) and see what needs replacing come next spring!

I too have an SCR 2.0 but it the 2008 model. It was my first ever road bike. I have had it around a year and do around 50-70 ish miles a week so nothing like your milage. I too got to the point of upgrading and the general consensus was wheels and tyres first (i already had clipless). I did a bit of looking and priced up some Open Pro's plus GP4000 tyres for 270 quid. I choose not to buy them as I am going to get a new bike in the sales and keep my SCR 2.0 as a winter bike.

If you cant afford a new bike then I would go for a good set of handbuilt Open Pro's and some good tyres, oh and get some SPD type pedals if you havent already as they make such a difference.

Good luck

paddy01

In a similar boat I've just been down this road.. I've got a 2008 Trek 1.2.. a £500 entry level road bike. Mileage per week varies, anything up to 100 miles. Regular rides over 50 miles on a weekend.

I've just bought :

Mavic Aksium wheels.
Shimano 105 SPD-SL pedals (to replace the MTB spd's that I was using).
Specialized roadie shoes.

I've no idea what difference these upgrades will make having not had a chance to get on the bike in the last couple of days since the bits were delivered.

Why spend over half what the whole bike cost new last year on upgrades?

Because I can and I like shiny stuff. It's all the justification I've ever needed. :tongue:

bicyclerubber

Take some advice on making sure your bike fits you properly

Wheels - lighter ones - will have biggest impact on performance

Contact points - saddle (get an SMP4Bike) / shorts, pedals / shoes, bars / tape (get some Lizardskins DSP) / mitts - will have biggest impact on comfort

Top Bottom