Improving North Wales cycling infrastructure

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I have just been in a meeting with the Police and Crime Commissioner for North Wales. This was primarily to discuss the Road Justice Campaign and for me to give him a report about incidents and collisions involving cyclists and what the Police can do to improve the service they provide.

During the discussion, we talked a lot about the cycle facilities that are available for cyclist use. He asked why cyclists dont use them when they are much safer than the roads, and I explained that cycling on the roads isnt dangerous and most of these facilities have been poorly planned and are not convenient to use.
I gave him a few local examples of badly planned places and he suggested that I do some investigating and draw up some detailed explanations of why they are dangerous and what the alternatives should be. He then suggested that I send if to the council. I explained that the council are very poor with customer service and rarely get back to me.
The PCC then said that if I sent him the report too, he could work in partnership with the Council and make sure something happened. But it would need a sizable input from me to do the research.

I also mentioned about Roadsafe London when whether it would be possible to implement an online reporting system like theirs.
He said that he would look into that but it would be something that might interest the Police if it took resources away from dealing with phone calls about near misses.

To conclude, the meeting was a success and I was very happy with the outcome. I will be working over the summer to compile a healthy report about the North Wales cycling infrastructure and its flaws.

Ok. Tell them to put cycle lanes next to the worst roads (for cycling on) such as the A55 and other major roads. This would allow cyclists to travel along the more well used routes while seperating them from the worst of the traffic.

Kookas

Über Member
One thing: downhill cycle lanes are a dumb idea, uphill cycle lanes (that don't suck) are appreciated.

Top Bottom