Improving the Tour

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
MTB course half way through a stage, so 50 mile ride to spread things out, triathlon style transition zone to swap bikes, MTB climb up and then back down to transition zone then back on the road bike.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Let's see what this year's shorter stage brings. I think it's those kind of tweaks that need making.........

Shorter stages would be my suggestion. One of the reasons the women's races are often more exciting is because they are usually a lot shorter.

However...

Alternatively, as it's France, during the race the riders have to negotiate a number of obstacles, roads blocked by farmers up in arms over fruit imports from Spain, tyres burning in the road creating an obstacle course. At the end of the stage, no transport to the hotel due to everyone being on strike, no food when they get there as they're late.and the kitchen is closed, appeals met with a gallic shrug and a stale baguette....

I could get on board with this idea.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
No race radios and no power meters would liven it up considerably, I don't think much else would be needed.

Very much this but I'd have no speedometers, no heath rate monitors, nothing.

Riders would have to ride on feel and I miss the old chalk boards with the time gaps on the back of the motorbikes.

Open up to independent entries, no team support allowed on the course only generic support available to all entries. Scrap cumlative times for gc no more bonus points or seconds for gc, purely based on position over the finishing line each and every day. No allowing of riders to loan wheels and bikes to other riders.

lane

Veteran
Not my idea I have seen this suggested previously - that real time power and HR data is available to the broadcasters so a graphic with the data could be shown alongside the picture of a rider attacking for instance. A bit like in F1 where they show speed and breaking of the cars. I have no idea how technically feasible this is.

If you went to a pure points based system it would need consideration of the points awarded - in F1 the champion has in the past not won many races but now there are more points on offer for win which makes winning more important, as opposed to coming second lots of times.

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
Not my idea I have seen this suggested previously - that real time power and HR data is available to the broadcasters so a graphic with the data could be shown alongside the picture of a rider attacking for instance. A bit like in F1 where they show speed and breaking of the cars. I have no idea how technically feasible this is.

Not only is it technically feasible, they're already doing it - a fairly recent innovation, admittedly.

You can also track individual riders online here:
http://livetracking.letour.fr/#/stageprofile

Top Bottom