In an interview, would you admit to being a cyclist??

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I've been saying it - not done me any harm recently - most seem impressed you want to commute 10 miles by bike in 30-35 mins which is faster than the car ! Happy healthy employee !

Blonde

I did and it's part of what swung me the job here, as it's an environmentally related subject. I was asked whether I was committed to reducing my carbon footprint and was able to suggest that by cycling to work I was doing my bit, which went down very well. At my prevoous job they were impressed that I managed to keep fit whilst commuting to work, which they considered an effective use of time and it made for a healthy employee too. Emplyers don't want lazy-arses on their pay roll!

8-wheeler

I would certainly mention it if the chance came up. I agree - if the company is anti-cyclist, would you really want to work there?

Of course, it depends a lot on the style of interviewer, but generally if they want to make you an offer, I find it very easy to bring such matters up. They'll discuss stuff like "where do you travel in from" where it's easy to say where, and then describe your likely journey in and say that you're a cyclist. I don't see how any decent employer would be against that.

gazzaputt

Hmm mentioned at mine that I cycle and was told there were facilities. Only that the facilities are on a different site to that I work on. Grrr

U

User169

At one of the interviews I had for my current job, we spent much of the time discussing the design of the department's cycling kit.

Next weekend is the company's cycle classic: 100km through southern Netherlands and Belgium (it follows some of the LBL route I think). There are so many entrants there's a staggered start.

Top Bottom