In Europe most towns and villages have a fountain or water taps. Usually its public water supply, safe to drink

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sallar55

Veteran
The wizards well and the story

DSC_1766.JPG

DSC_1767.JPG

oldwheels

Legendary Member

We had quite a few cast iron ones and there is still one hidden in undergrowth near the main road with a chain and iron cup attached. There are no public drinking fountains left here now in the town.

All uphill

Still rolling along
We are lucky in England that most churches have a tap on the outside of the building somewhere. The churches also cast large shadows.

Very handy on a hot day!

I can't speak for the rest of the UK.

Gwylan

Veteran
But we are much more advanced. Our water is managed by free enterprise companies. They do a much better job than municipal organisations that are hampered by honouring laws and regulations.
Who would want access to a free, public drinking fountain when they can buy individual bottles. That water must be so much better for the hundreds of miles it has been transported.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We are lucky in England that most churches have a tap on the outside of the building somewhere. The churches also cast large shadows.

Very handy on a hot day!

I can't speak for the rest of the UK.

Churches usually have a tap somewhere on the outside wall so that the gardener can do his stuff.

Holy water...what's not to like?

BTW, a fair number of public water sources in France have signs reading "Non Potable".

Last edited:
I once drank from a public fountain in Germany. Next thing I know I'm cycling into Poland uninvited as fast as I can.

I love to read some casual xenophobia on a Sunday morning.

Before you say it's a joke .... No. Just no.
This is a public forum on the interwebs. Some members are from Germany. Others live there. Have families there. And Poland (and elsewhere too).

Pull up your famous, manky y-fronts and cop on.

On topic.....
The drought of he past few years has been hitting Spin hard.....
A town named for its water source had no water......
IMG_20220510_130358.jpg

OP
OP
S

Sallar55

Veteran
PXL_20230530_145829517.jpg

PXL_20230528_144218467.jpg

PXL_20230528_073430986.jpg
The rain has returned,well its usually about 5pm up in the Sierra's when the thunderstorms hit🌧️⚡ no-one is complaining as its a welcome relief.

Top Bottom