In line barrel adjuster

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

l4dva

Guru
Hopefully this is an easy question.

Should my brand new planet x cyclocross bike have come with the barrel adjuster on the gear cable?

I've only just realized it doesn't have one. My road bike and my wife's bike both have them, not that I know what to do with it but is this something I should push back to planet x on?

The groupset is sram rival x1.

Thanks in advance

Should my brand new planet x cyclocross bike have come with the barrel adjuster on the gear cable?

I've only just realized it doesn't have one. My road bike and my wife's bike both have them, not that I know what to do with it but is this something I should push back to planet x on?

Thanks in advance

Normally only the front mech needs an inline adjuster. The rear mech will have an adjuster on it so does not need an inline one.

OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Fair enough, so long as it dosent cause any issues in future trying to set up gear alignment then I’m happy.

thanks for you help!

Ajax Bay

Guru
1586809290532.png

Slioch

Guru
Are the cables routed internally inside the frame? If so, there may not be anywhere suitable to mount an in-line cable adjuster.

Slioch

Guru
If I've read the question right, I think what the OP is saying is that on his road bike there is the usual barrel adjuster down by the rear derailleur, but there is also an in-line one up near the handlebars. On his new CX bike though, there is only the one at the rear derailleur. Some pics of his bike or at least confirmation of the precise model would be helpful.

Reactions: C R
OP
OP
L

l4dva

Guru
Hi,

I can confirm I have a adjuster on the gear mech. However no barrel adjuster on the cable nearer the handle bars, where I have barrel adjusters on my other bike.

I'll try get a picture uploaded. No internal cable routing on this bike, as its a CX the cables run along the top of the top tube.

Thanks for your help!

Spoked Wheels

Legendary Member

Thanks in advance

The last bike I built, the derailleur didn't have a barrel adjustment so I fitted an inline barrel adjustment. First time I've seen a rear derailleur without a barrel adjustment.

Attachments

• cambio-Shimano-Deore-XT-M771-9v.JPG.jpg
    cambio-Shimano-Deore-XT-M771-9v.JPG.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 1

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Right. It's nice to have one on the shifter as you can adjust whilst riding otherwise you'll have to put it on a stand to fine tune it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom