In need of some advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Guru
He doesn't want a 'flimsy' hybrid though :okay:
He does, he just doesn't realise its not flimsy and doesn't realise that exactly what he wants :laugh:

@BoldonLad is bang on.
Think about what you want to do on the bike, and I'm not talking about gear ratios.
For example, do you see yourself commuting on it? Then mudguards and possibly a hub dynamo are advantageous.
Do you see yourself doing the shopping? Then a decent rack will be needed, maybe some panniers.
If you fancy a little overnight touring that same rack and panniers would be useful.
Do you see yourself becoming a King of the Mountains? Then a light, sleek machine might be better.
Or do you just see yourself pootling around on the weekend? Then all you need is something pretty basic.

I've no idea what bike you have, but the shifters can be changed and suspension is over-rated unless you're doing some serious off-roading. Having said that, a discount Amazon bike is probably not going to be great.

How long is your voucher valid? Unless you have a gun to your head, I'd wait, ride my bike as much as possible and let my mind wander to what I could be doing on a new machine. Then look for that machine.

Or..... Return the compliment and buy your wife a bike!;)

OP
OP
M

Mart79

He does, he just doesn't realise its not flimsy and doesn't realise that exactly what he wants :laugh:
If you read my comment correctly I said ‘they look flimsy’ I never once said they were flimsy and no I will not be buying a Hybrid!! So unless you actually have anything constructive to say please don’t bother commenting. I was looking for advice not your opinion

T4tomo

Guru
I was advising you, that for the cycling you described in your OP, a heavy mountain bike with a chunky suspension fork doesn't seem necessary or desirable. If you're off hybrids, how about Voodoo Limba. Tough enough for light off-road but almost as good as a road bike on it, so called gravel bikes are the best "do-it-all" solution.

if it must be a mountain bike, Careera are decent vfm the Kraken is in your budget.

OP
OP
M

Mart79

@BoldonLad is bang on.
Think about what you want to do on the bike, and I'm not talking about gear ratios.
For example, do you see yourself commuting on it? Then mudguards and possibly a hub dynamo are advantageous.
Do you see yourself doing the shopping? Then a decent rack will be needed, maybe some panniers.
If you fancy a little overnight touring that same rack and panniers would be useful.
Do you see yourself becoming a King of the Mountains? Then a light, sleek machine might be better.
Or do you just see yourself pootling around on the weekend? Then all you need is something pretty basic.

I've no idea what bike you have, but the shifters can be changed and suspension is over-rated unless you're doing some serious off-roading. Having said that, a discount Amazon bike is probably not going to be great.

How long is your voucher valid? Unless you have a gun to your head, I'd wait, ride my bike as much as possible and let my mind wander to what I could be doing on a new machine. Then look for that machine.

Or..... Return the compliment and buy your wife a bike!;)
The voucher is valid until 23rd Jan ish, but they have said I can have it extended for 4 months. The current bike is called a Probike, never personally heard of them until the bike turned up. It’s far from a good quality bike, as I have said before it feels heavy, and yes I know others especially ones with suspension add to the weight and can feel heavy too, but it has quite a solid heavy frame, made from solid Steal by the weight of it.

as daft as it might sound I want something that looks nice, definitely not a hybrid...... yes they may be ideal for what I need it for bit they just look odd, and LOOK flimsy. I don’t do the shopping on the bike, I have a car for that, haha, I am also not some sort of off road mountain climbing junkie

I suggested to the wife I would buy her a bike but she flatly refused and categorically stated she doesn’t want 1.

I am in no rush as I said, it’s far too cold to go out on pleasure trips at the moment, the kids are off school, cos covidiots can’t stick to lockdown rules and then complain when the rules are toughened.

vickster

Legendary Member
The voucher is valid until 23rd Jan ish, but they have said I can have it extended for 4 months. The current bike is called a Probike, never personally heard of them until the bike turned up. It’s far from a good quality bike, as I have said before it feels heavy, and yes I know others especially ones with suspension add to the weight and can feel heavy too, but it has quite a solid heavy frame, made from solid Steal by the weight of it.

as daft as it might sound I want something that looks nice, definitely not a hybrid...... yes they may be ideal for what I need it for bit they just look odd, and LOOK flimsy. I don’t do the shopping on the bike, I have a car for that, haha, I am also not some sort of off road mountain climbing junkie

I suggested to the wife I would buy her a bike but she flatly refused and categorically stated she doesn’t want 1.

I am in no rush as I said, it’s far too cold to go out on pleasure trips at the moment, the kids are off school, cos covidiots can’t stick to lockdown rules and then complain when the rules are toughened.
See the voodoo posted, seem to potentially be available too.
Or do you only want a 29er (same wheel size as a hybrid)
What size do you need?

OP
OP
M

Mart79

I was advising you, that for the cycling you described in your OP, a heavy mountain bike with a chunky suspension fork doesn't seem necessary or desirable. If you're off hybrids, how about Voodoo Limba. Tough enough for light off-road but almost as good as a road bike on it, so called gravel bikes are the best "do-it-all" solution.

if it must be a mountain bike, Careera are decent vfm the Kraken is in your budget.
I have looked at a few Carrera but I’m far to picky, I added a GT aggressor 29” to my basket on Tredz which was well within my budget, looked a really nice bike but they have now sold out.

like I said my voucher is valid until towards the end of this month but can have it extended for 4 months so I think I will request the extension and hopefully in the next month or 2, things will improve in terms of supply and there’ll be a better selection to choose from. Damn this government for telling everyone to go out and buy a bike!! Haha

OP
OP
M

Mart79

Yeh looked at the voodoo when it was posted. Looks a nice bike. Not bothered on wheel size to be honest. Is there that much difference between the 27.5 and 29? The current bike has 27.5 wheels

vickster

Legendary Member
Supply may improve but demand will likely increase going into spring. Order now, pay deposit, redeem voucher when bike arrives.
What don’t you like about the Carreras?

OP
OP
M

Mart79

Yeh looked at the voodoo when it was posted. Looks a nice bike. Not bothered on wheel size to be honest. Is there that much difference between the 27.5 and 29? The current bike has 27.5 wheels

vickster

Legendary Member
Not much difference no, smaller wheels more agile off road, 29er might roll better on roads. Are you happy with current wheel size

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Mart, to save your head exploding from all the different ideas, iI'd get the voucher extended for when you can start to visit shops again once Covid restrictions start to ease.

Check on Google where your nearest independent bike shop is and ask them if they can accept the voucher- they will have a range of bikes for all types of situation. If you can narrow it down to the appearance and type you like the look of and what rides you'll be doing, you can try out a few. The shop will be able to answer the hundreds of questions you'll have once you see the range they have available- it'd be frustrating to have to restrict yourself just to what's in stock up to the end of January.

Meantime you can have rides out on the 21 speed bike.

It's great to get a new bike so have fun!

OP
OP
M

Mart79

Supply may improve but demand will likely increase going into spring. Order now, pay deposit, redeem voucher when bike arrives.
What don’t you like about the Carreras?
I do like the Carreras but I then look at the gears and it’s only something like 14-16 gears, yes I know i probably only need 2 cos that’s all I would use but the more the better I suppose haha, maybe I’m going back to my childhood mindset when you asked for a bike for Christmas, you then compared your bike with your mates and the go to comparison was ‘how many gears has it got’ haha

vickster

Legendary Member
I do like the Carreras but I then look at the gears and it’s only something like 14-16 gears, yes I know i probably only need 2 cos that’s all I would use but the more the better I suppose haha, maybe I’m going back to my childhood mindset when you asked for a bike for Christmas, you then compared your bike with your mates and the go to comparison was ‘how many gears has it got’ haha
We’ve covered number of the gears point...
It’s not relevant. Look at the ratios and quality of components.
Presumably you’re not a child anymore or compare what you get to your mates

Top Bottom