In praise of board games

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Just recently got into board games and card games recently thanks to a friend at work and the bug has bitten!

So far I have Monty python fluxx, ticket to ride and the star trek deck building game. Along with magic the gathering collection I have lol

Have played robo rally, civilization, Carcassonne, smallworld, dominion and a few others.

Who else plays and what is your favourite?

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
Currently playing zombicide and last night on earth. Both cracking games, although the former can takd bloody ages :smile:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I used to play Risk a lot when I was young. I liked chess before I discovered beer but found it too difficult when p***ed. Backgammon is a great game to play with mates after the pub - there is skill to it, but enough luck that you can blag a few wins here and there even when temporarily a bit short of braincells! :laugh:

RhythMick

Über Member
Carcassonne is a great family game. Pack of cards and you can't go far wrong. Currently teaching the kids to play bridge. At 14 and 12 I'm guessing that's a bit unusual.

I used to play Risk and Diplomacy until the early hours but only on long holidays. Too old now.

OP
OP
Kiwiavenger

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
Carcassonne is a great family game. Pack of cards and you can't go far wrong. Currently teaching the kids to play bridge. At 14 and 12 I'm guessing that's a bit unusual.

I used to play Risk and Diplomacy until the early hours but only on long holidays. Too old now.

Me and the wife will and have stayed up late playing scramble before and poker. She refuses to play anything with me now! I have 3 complete decks of magic cards and really want to try out Monty python fluxx but if I push the matter she may divorce me!

In preparation who has a spare room I can baggsie? Lol

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Just played 2 games of Cluedo and a game of Masterpiece... + play Scrabble on FB with my daughter and friends 'down south' .

Noodley

Monopoly Junior edition for me. That's as far as my brain will stretch.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Backgammon for me too... plus variations such as Russian Backgammon, where both players start with all the counters off the board, count them on and have a big barny in the middle, and Bitchy Backgammon, where one can move backwards, but only if there's an opponents piece to put on the bar... and then there's the version of the game my unnamed friend plays, where the pieces mysteriously change places and the dice are rolled, then slyly flicked to make a double... I think it's called cheating.

Guess Who is a cracking game.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Couple of cracking, now out of print games from Games Workshop - before they became geeky model shops:

"Judge Dredd" a cracking cards / board game - not remotely serious but similar luck-skill ratio as Backgammon - at least for non experts

And the greatest board game of them all: Apocalypse ! think risk with nuclear missiles. key feature is not the missiles, but the way the game ends up as a series of grudges between players - qnd the way players always gang up on whoever's winning. Both great features in a game in my view. Partularly entertaining is the way a strong player will implausibly argue that someone should attack elsewhere as the other player is the true threat.
It has real depth and strategy, but still enjoyable for the poorer players as they get ignored whilst everyone gangs up on the curent threat.

Top Bottom