In praise of cable ties

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mangid

Guru
I've been carrying cable ties around with me for ages, and finally they found a use. Poor guy at Waitrose discovered his rear wheel lock had comes loose, one like this:

THV032308.jpg

One cable tie later and a thank you he was on his way. Last time I used them was three/four years ago when a ladies front brake had come off, and the nut had gone missing. Obviously the brake wouldn't work, but the cable ties got it out of the way and allowed a limp home.

13 rider

Guru
@Supersuperleeds had to borrow some cable ties off me on our last ride to strap up a broken mudguard . Always carry a couple in the saddle bag no weight but plenty of possible usages although I never needed them myself yet

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
And congratulations for not calling them zip ties :cheers:

I always carry a few cable ties with me on rides. Last time they were used was on the Dunwich Dynamo to help another rider hold a part of his bike together!

DRHysted

Guru
Cable ties and gaffer tape were always carried off-road driving when I had a 4x4. We once “repaired” suspension using them so we could get a truck off the Plains.

Supersuperleeds

Legendary Member
@Supersuperleeds had to borrow some cable ties off me on our last ride to strap up a broken mudguard . Always carry a couple in the saddle bag no weight but plenty of possible usages although I never needed them myself yet
Borrow? If you want them back I'll have to get them out of the bin :tongue:

Mudguard now fixed

Ajax Bay

Guru
From LEL - this lasted 200km before the rider managed to get to a bike shop (in daytime) get the crankset replaced, and on into the fenland winds and LEL completion
36098611430_ba8c9247cd_m.jpg

"The outer part (nearest the camera) from the spider down to and including the pedal became detached from the inner part, which includes the chain ring bolts, leaving the pedal flapping about. The break was about 2 inches from the pedal, on the rear of the crank arm, then ran up either side of the arm to the area of the spider. I believe Shimano crank arms are hollow, formed of a U shaped front, including the pedal drilling, and a plate welded to the back, which includes the drilling for the chain ring bolts. The break was along the weld line. The cable ties held the two parts together."

si_c

Guru
Always have a couple in the saddlebag, last used to replace a mudguard stay bolt that had rattled out. Realised it was quieter generally so replaced the other side too.

LCpl Boiled Egg

Three word soundbite
As long as you snip the end off when you've attached it. As someone who has had one jab them in the eye in the past I fecking hate them left like that.

rrarider

Veteran
They're useful little gizmos for sure but I wonder just how strong they are. In particular would anyone hang their bike by a cable tie for long term storage? I'm thinking of getting my steel bike (about 20-25lbs weight) out from the damp garage and hanging it inside from a thinnish (~3mm) tie for the winter months.

Top Bottom