In praise of cyclists who live in South Devon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Is Dorset coast any flatter? I love the hills and I enjoyed the Brixham/Totnes/Dartmouth area but there isn't much (isn't any actually) what you might call rolling roads where you can get a wriggle on and relax a bit. It was all either max effort uphill or crapping myself downhill.
Going there out season was really nice and we will probably do same next winter...but somewhere else
Dorset coast is pretty lumpy and roller-coasty from memory with some lovely views.

Rode Poole to Exeter as a young Foodie and a week of day rides out of Weymouth. All good climbing days from memory.
[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I'd have thought that as a native Devonian, you'd have an innate instinct for the precise width of your vehicle :rolleyes:
Am a bit out of practice....

Lovacott

Über Member
200k planned, up to N Devon, Torridge, and back, on Sunday.
I live in Torridge but I've only just scratched the surface of the available roads I could cycle along. Tons of little lanes all over the place.

When you've finished, could you post your route.

Lovacott

Über Member
All those old railway lines make it pretty level going on the whole.

A highly civilised (if a tad busy at times) intro to Devonshire Cyclisme :okay:

The Tarka Trail is a great level ride utilising an old railway.

Best done early in the morning (first light) because it is very popular with tourists and can get a bit congested around places like Instow and Fremington. The scenery is spectacular and goes from coastal estuary following the river Torridge inland though farmland and quaint villages. There is good chance of seeing wild otter at some of the river crossings near Torrington.

Some parts were a bit feral a few years back (gravel and pot holes) but it's mostly good quality tarmac now.

https://www.tarkatrail.org.uk/exploring/routes/braunton-to-meeth/

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Next May LEJOG of course we ride through Devon but we seem to be avoiding the "narrow yellow" roads which will be good for our sanity and our average speed. After the experience around Brixham I've revisited our Cornwall/Devon route to make sure we don't have too much single track stuff

Also riding the Meldon viaduct near Okehampton which looks ace:becool:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Next May LEJOG of course we ride through Devon but we seem to be avoiding the "narrow yellow" roads which will be good for our sanity and our average speed. After the experience around Brixham I've revisited our Cornwall/Devon route to make sure we don't have too much single track stuff

Also riding the Meldon viaduct near Okehampton which looks ace:becool:

I spose if speed and convenience is the thing then this makes sense.

But the main roads are full of traffic, I don't see the 'fun' in that.

Each to their own of course - enjoy :smile:

OP
OP
nickyboy

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I spose if speed and convenience is the thing then this makes sense.

But the main roads are full of traffic, I don't see the 'fun' in that.

Each to their own of course - enjoy :smile:
This is our Devon route. Hopefully a sensible balance between keeping off the main roads and keeping off tricky single tracks
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30826375

Unless you Devonians can improve it of course

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
This is our Devon route. Hopefully a sensible balance between keeping off the main roads and keeping off tricky single tracks
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/30826375

Unless you Devonians can improve it of course

I'll have a look when I'm on the PC.

I'm sure it's fine, but I go touring to have picturesque rides, between picturesque places, so will tend to choose the wrigglier, and often hillier route, which is of course slower.

But if I see you've bypassed somewhere lovely that wouldn't take much of a diversion I'll point it out. :okay:

Cirrus

Veteran
I was recently in Mortenhampstead, I did a few runs in the area and they nearly killed me, I was very pleased to discover the Wray Valley Trail to run on.....

Spartak