In Praise of Dremels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Wonderful tools for all sorts of jobs on the bike.
In the last few weeks I have cut off a pitted crown race that had sealed itself to a fork. Drilled out an allen bolt on a frame that had got rounded and tonight I used it to cut out some cleat shims from a sheet of 2mm plastic.
Feel a bit like Paul Whitehouse on the Fast Show. Aren't Dremels brilliant :wahhey:

Lonestar

Veteran
Good point...always thought of getting one...Had a 12v Dremel clone once...

Last edited:

Hill Wimp

Fair weathered,fair minded but easily persuaded.
I love mine.

Gets used for all sorts of stuff.

Bodhbh

Guru
Mine's not quite found it's role in life yet and sits alone and unloved in it's own tool box under the bed. The one job I did where it kind of paid for itself was fixing a pair of 70 quid glasses I'd trashed in a crash and were in 3 pieces. Drilled a couple of small holes thru the frames where they were broke and fixed em with 2mm allen bolts. Looks a bit dorky, but just wear them on the bike and at the pictures.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I have the one with the LCD speed display on the back. It must be over 15 years old now and has never let me down.
It's latest job was to sand down the forks of my old Dawes Vantage for me to respray and replace the ones on the Raleigh. It's no longer as scary to ride :smile:
It's especially handy for cutting down brake and gear cables.

screenman

Legendary Member
I import and sell a lot of the 4.8v it is a shame I cannot get them here as it would be cheaper, also I have to supply a transformer as the only run with a 110v charger.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I used mine with a chainsaw sharpening cylinder to cut through a bottom bracket cup that had corroded into the BB shell of a mountain bike I got cheap, because the bottom bracket was shot. When I started seeing threads, I quit. Did the same process twice, and it the BB cup remains fell out. I had previously cut the closed part of the cup off with an angle grinder. All went as planned, and I actually had a plan.

Top Bottom