In Praise of Dremels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

keithmac

Guru
I borrowed father in law's plug in dremel with a diamond cutting disk when I tiled our kitchen, it was a godsend for all the awkward cuts!.

20151122_141811.jpg
20151219_134638.jpg

Mr Celine

Discordian
I got a dremmel for christmas a couple of years ago but after using it a few times the pin that locks the drive shaft stopped working, so I can't attach any bits or other accessories. I can see a way of fixing it, but that would need a rotary power tool capable of intricate work......

You don't say!
Must get myself one :girl:
Naaah, there's a better tool for that job. Just get a cable cutter.
Cutting bike cables with a Dremel is like making a fire outside in the yard and boiling water for tea in a jam tin. First you have to fit a disc without breaking it. Then you have to somehow hold the cable stable. Then you grind away at it, shooting grit and sparks all over the kitchen counter top. Then you have to deburr the ends, put the Dremel away, chuck away the broken/worn down disc etc etc.
Just one snap (with a cutter) and the job is done.

I got a dremmel for christmas a couple of years ago but after using it a few times the pin that locks the drive shaft stopped working, so I can't attach any bits or other accessories. I can see a way of fixing it, but that would need a rotary power tool capable of intricate work......
I bet it was one of those green Lidl "Dremels".

No, it's a Dremmel 3000. Bought by a relative on the interweb. I've no receipt and no idea who to send it back to.
I can't picture the workings of that one's chuck lock, but I bet it is a steel pin with a plastic button behind it. The pin shifts inside the button or breaks it and then the pin's angle is not right for locking it. It's a nice machine, find out if Dremel doesn't have a fix/spares for it.

Mr Celine

Discordian
I can't picture the workings of that one's chuck lock, but I bet it is a steel pin with a plastic button behind it. The pin shifts inside the button or breaks it and then the pin's angle is not right for locking it. It's a nice machine, find out if Dremel doesn't have a fix/spares for it.

That's pretty much it. Also the pin having shifted has resulted in wear on both the pin and the edge of the hole it engages with. In effect the pin is now too short to lock the shaft. I reassembled it with the pin rotated 180 degrees. This seems to lock the shaft but it's not been tested in anger yet.

Top Bottom