In praise of Evan's Cycles, Norwich

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I had to go to Evans, in Norwich, as my Cateye Volt 100 just packed up. This happened down a Suffolk country lane. I took it off bright beam to not so bright beam as there was a car coming. The not so bright beam is not overly brilliant for dark roads.
The on/off switch stopped working. I recharged it, once it had run down but the switch had definitely died. I couldn't find the original packaging, I've moved house since July, or the receipt.
I saw the nice man at Evans who said 'Hi, how are you, long time no see' and so on and so forth. I've not been in for a few weeks but it's nice to be recognised. He found my receipt in his computer system and said he was happy to refund. I said I wanted another light, maybe a better light and I'll pay the difference. He said that they had a Black Friday deal on Moon 360 lights. Reduced to £29.99 from £50-ish. Woo hoo, thinks I, that'll do for me.

Naturally, they had sold out on the racks, so he went off and rummaged about in the back and opened up a new delivery and fetched me one out. I only had to pay £6 difference so was very chuffed. It's on charge in the kitchen now. I cannot wait to try it out later. He says it has lots of modes. Low, Normal, High and 'dip-your-chuffing-headlights-you-pillock. Sounds great.

I know some people have issues with Evan's but I really like them. The Norwich branch is brilliant :smile: All it needs is a coffee machine and it would be perfect ^_^

I know some people have issues with Evan's but I really like them. The Norwich branch is brilliant :smile: All it needs is a coffee machine and it would be perfect ^_^

I agree. I was in there about a month ago and they were friendly, without being overbearing (like many shop bods are) and just let me look around and then were happy to talk about cycling in general.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
I had to go to Evans, in Norwich, as my Cateye Volt 100 just packed up. This happened down a Suffolk country lane. I took it off bright beam to not so bright beam as there was a car coming. The not so bright beam is not overly brilliant for dark roads.
The on/off switch stopped working. I recharged it, once it had run down but the switch had definitely died.

I had exactly the same thing happen with my Cateye Volt 100- the switch packed up same as you. I really like the light but the switch is clearly crap. I'd bought mine while away for work in some town or other in Surrey, I can't remember which, and I've lost receipt so I'll never get the money back. Glad it worked out for you- a very civilised place Norwich :okay:

OP
OP
Saluki

Saluki

World class procrastinator
I had exactly the same thing happen with my Cateye Volt 100- the switch packed up same as you. I really like the light but the switch is clearly crap. I'd bought mine while away for work in some town or other in Surrey, I can't remember which, and I've lost receipt so I'll never get the money back. Glad it worked out for you- a very civilised place Norwich :okay:
Bummer. You didn't get it from an Evan's then?
I was quite tempted to pull it apart to see if I could fix it, when Hubster said "you've only had it since summer, take the dang thing back"

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Bummer. You didn't get it from an Evan's then?
I was quite tempted to pull it apart to see if I could fix it, when Hubster said "you've only had it since summer, take the dang thing back"

It wasn't an Evans (I can't remember which shop or town- most of Surrey just blurred into one to me !)*
I bodged a repair which works up to a point though I often find the thing switches itself on without any help - a couple of pics below.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Amazing what you can do with a chop stick and masking tape !

*Edit- just checked my work diary and it was somewhere called Haselmere. Very good bike shop as I recall.

Last edited:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
You think that's good? Check this out...

Ordered some DT Swiss Alpine spokes from Rose bikes in Germany to rebuild a wheel. Received in 4 days.

Unlaced current wheel and realised I measured wrong and the new spokes were 4mm too short.

Emailed Rose to say I c0cked up and could they explain the returns process for me to return and get replacements ordered.

They emailed back to apologise that I'd ordered wrong spokes. Told me to keep them, they would refund cost and delivery and for me to buy locally.

I turned it down as there is nowhere locally to buy the spokes in black so they will do the exchange, but the 'don't worry you keep them, we'll refund you anyway' was extraordinary.

Top Bottom