In Praise of Fray Bentos

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
I will stick with the pies i know.:okay:

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Now available for all our epicurean vegetarian friends.
All that veggie goodness and only a quid. :hungry:
https://mol.im/a/6777573

classic33

Leg End Member
@Dirk, two for one on the Vegetable Balti in the local B&M's today.
CAM01261-1.jpg

Plus a few others.
CAM01260.jpg

numbnuts

Legendary Member
Having not eaten a Fray Bentos pie in my life I thought I should try one, but in the supermarket one caught my eye a steak and kidney pudding I haven't had one for a long time.
After reading the cooking instructions I thought numbnuts could do that so I bought it.
Today Sunday I prepared my two favourite vegetables brussels and cauliflower cheese to go with the pudding at least if the pudding is crap the vegetables won't be and I have lemon tart for dessert.
Well what can I say......not a lot, the nice fluffy suet crust that my mother made years ago was like wet cardboard, I had to leave half of it, the meat and gravy was not too bad with a pleasant taste.
Would I buy again at £1.50 it's good value if you didn't know how to cook, but as I do the answer has to be no, but I'll still give it 5/10 (that's only if I'm not ill during the night) xx(
I might try a pie next week.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Having not eaten a Fray Bentos pie in my life I thought I should try one, but in the supermarket one caught my eye a steak and kidney pudding I haven't had one for a long time.
After reading the cooking instructions I thought numbnuts could do that so I bought it.
Today Sunday I prepared my two favourite vegetables brussels and cauliflower cheese to go with the pudding at least if the pudding is crap the vegetables won't be and I have lemon tart for dessert.
Well what can I say......not a lot, the nice fluffy suet crust that my mother made years ago was like wet cardboard, I had to leave half of it, the meat and gravy was not too bad with a pleasant taste.
Would I buy again at £1.50 it's good value if you didn't know how to cook, but as I do the answer has to be no, but I'll still give it 5/10 (that's only if I'm not ill during the night) xx(
I am the same. the one i had was awfall, Am going to stick with Pukka pies, At least they are edible.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
An admirable sense of adventure displayed there. It's that type of spirit that won us an empire. :notworthy:

Top Bottom