in praise of Jake Humphrey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I think the boy did well. He's got a talent with words, but doesn't overdo it, he's got an enthusiasm for cycling, but doesn't pretend to be an expert, he got the very best out of Cav (who has a winning smile which was much in evidence) and he pumped a bit of confidence in to Jamie Staff. And he almost made sense of the Beeb's reluctance to show anything live, which couldn't have been easy.

Best of all he's not the usual Beeb voice - 'cyculing' betraying a pleasingly non-U diction with a hint of Norfolk.

Let's hope he gets to do some more track cycling commentary.

LosingFocus

Lost it, got it again.
Far better than both the "smarmy, smarmy" Lineker and the "should be put out to pasture" Inverdale. I like Jake, shame he is so annoying on Twitter...

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
I've been impressed with him at the Olympics in general, he used to be that good with F1 presenting always getting the best out of interviewees and co-presenters and asking the right questions, but less so this season. Cav has also been suprisingly good IMHO.

I think the BBC coverage has been pretty decent all in all, with the possible exception of the guy asking athletes dumb questions while theyre still catching their breath.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
I think the boy did well. He's got a talent with words, but doesn't overdo it, he's got an enthusiasm for cycling, but doesn't pretend to be an expert, he got the very best out of Cav (who has a winning smile which was much in evidence) and he pumped a bit of confidence in to Jamie Staff. And he almost made sense of the Beeb's reluctance to show anything live, which couldn't have been easy.

Best of all he's not the usual Beeb voice - 'cyculing' betraying a pleasingly non-U diction with a hint of Norfolk.

Let's hope he gets to do some more track cycling commentary.

How so? I thought it was all live on the red button or online?

Noodley

I thought he was very good, I'd always thought he was an annoying nobber until he presented the olympic track cycling. But I have changed my mind.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
the only problem with the red button coverage is the lack of quality commentators
the only other problem with the BBC's coverage is Gary Lineaker.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
I have to agree that JH was better than expected - not as Blue Peterish as some of the other gushers. Cav was a revelation too.

Slaav

Veteran
There was an amusing bit earlier when JH asked that dizzy awful blonde, Helen Skelton?, a question so that she could then be introduced and start her piece. She went off on her usual shrieky cr4p; only for us - as poor viewers - to hear JK say (his mike wasn't muted properly) something along the lines of 'tell her she is shouting' or 'stop shouting'. Wasnt paying enough attention but it made me laugh as she lowered the volume as though she heard it herself.

Guess what? 2 mins later, volume starts rising like a Blue Peter presenter trying to enthuse children :smile:

She has her plus points but she should be nowhere near the Olympics except for possibly the athletes village or a childrens' party.

Cannot find it on Youtube as expected

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
I've been impressed with him at the Olympics in general, he used to be that good with F1 presenting always getting the best out of interviewees and co-presenters and asking the right questions, but less so this season. Cav has also been suprisingly good IMHO.

Disagree with that very much. Humphrey occasionally got the best out of interviewers with his formula 1 presenting, enough to see why he was given the anchor job. However every time he's not available and the job is given to Leigh McKenzie you see how unsuitable he really is for the role. The silly waving of arms and shouting goes, Eddie Jordan is told to behave or else and sane things start coming out of his mouth :ohmy:.

That said I have nothing against Jake Humphrey and think we've just found his true vocation on tv - track cycling :thumbsup: .

Top Bottom