in praise of Jake Humphrey

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lukesdad

I thought he was very good, I'd always thought he was an annoying nobber until he presented the olympic track cycling. But I have changed my mind.

Not a patch on you mind, I thought you must have turned it down and he was their second string.

Cyclist33

I think the boy did well. He's got a talent with words, but doesn't overdo it, he's got an enthusiasm for cycling, but doesn't pretend to be an expert, he got the very best out of Cav (who has a winning smile which was much in evidence) and he pumped a bit of confidence in to Jamie Staff. And he almost made sense of the Beeb's reluctance to show anything live, which couldn't have been easy.

Best of all he's not the usual Beeb voice - 'cyculing' betraying a pleasingly non-U diction with a hint of Norfolk.

Let's hope he gets to do some more track cycling commentary.

I've warmed to him a bit but there's still a big dark endless void where his eyes should be.

Stu

MrJamie

Oaf on a Bike
Disagree with that very much. Humphrey occasionally got the best out of interviewers with his formula 1 presenting, enough to see why he was given the anchor job. However every time he's not available and the job is given to Leigh McKenzie you see how unsuitable he really is for the role. The silly waving of arms and shouting goes, Eddie Jordan is told to behave or else and sane things start coming out of his mouth :ohmy:.

That said I have nothing against Jake Humphrey and think we've just found his true vocation on tv - track cycling :thumbsup: .
I agree that he's like that now, but when he first got the job for the F1 he seemed to take it seriously, did his research and used to post lots of extra insights and photos on his Twitter, but as he got more comfortable I found he got irritating and the three of them reminded me of a poor episode of Top Gear with him and DC laughing and encouraging Eddie to rant nonsense. Ive always liked Lee McKenzie ;) I miss her more than anyone from the BBC in this years coverage on Sky, she seems to get the best out of the interviews and makes people open up. If you've been watching the Sky coverage with Lazenby who asks a team boss or driver a question, then looks away and totally ignores their response and asks the next question on his list then its really hard to fault Jake. Just my opinion though, at least we agree on McKenzie being awesome ;)

broomwagon

He's got a pleasant presentation style has Jake but his knowledge is zero on the sport of cycling bar a few well known historical facts. Most of the commentators in the Olympics are commentating on sports they know nowt about! All they do is research their subject and rely on their presentation skills. For godsake, there was a rugby commentator telling us about the archery...No in-depth analysis at all. I used to be sick of the sight of Clare Balding as she was covering almost every outside broadcast for the BBC, plus she did a series a year or two back called something like, "Britain By Cycle" and did hardly any cycling which was piss poor! Her presentation during the past fortnight has been entertaining but her guests have helped out a great deal. Cavendish as a pundit? No chance, he has no presentation skills at all and has a limited vocabulary for television work. Stick to the bike Cav

Top Bottom