in praise of proper mudguards

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Mudguards are essential in Birmingham because of all the dog mess on cycle paths.

HorTs

Über Member
SKS Cromos here too. I tend to have them on all year round unless I have to take them off for any other reason.

dodgy

I see a lot of bikes with full SKS mudguards, but the front mudguard doesn't come near enough to the road. My SKS Longboards come to within 2 inches of the road, that's optimum I think, makes a huge difference to keeping chainrings/chain/feet clean.

Berties

Fast and careful!
Just had my croix de fer serviced back to new condition ,with some upgraded components,only ride it in the winter ,I was recommended to get mud guards fitted ,as most of wear in my bike was filth from the road and to top it the seat post is stuck! Wheeled the bike in sks wides fitted as I run 28s it may take 32s,,and I will never look back limited road dirt and spray dry back ,for the winter days what's not to like

I am convinced the reason mine has stayed as clean and free of stonechips as it has up until now is the full-length SKS Chromplastics. We changed the front mech on my mates Trek a few years back, and it had 'guards but the front one was a 3/4 length and the front mech had totally seized on him on his way to work one day and when we looked it was corroded to buggery, presumably due to the continual soaking in wet weather. The bike was only about 3 yrs old and mine has passed that age with nary a problem from it's front mech :-)

runner

Guru
Would never ride a bike without mudguards...always like to keep my bum dry...it always makes me laugh to see cyclists go past with the lovely mud mark all the way up their back....get some mudguards!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I am convinced the reason mine has stayed as clean and free of stonechips as it has up until now is the full-length SKS Chromplastics. We changed the front mech on my mates Trek a few years back, and it had 'guards but the front one was a 3/4 length and the front mech had totally seized on him on his way to work one day and when we looked it was corroded to buggery, presumably due to the continual soaking in wet weather. The bike was only about 3 yrs old and mine has passed that age with nary a problem from it's front mech :-)
my front mech's twenty years old this year and is still going strong... my front mudguard is a crudcatcher on the down tube.

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I see a lot of bikes with full SKS mudguards, but the front mudguard doesn't come near enough to the road. My SKS Longboards come to within 2 inches of the road, that's optimum I think, makes a huge difference to keeping chainrings/chain/feet clean.
With a custom mudflap, mine is more like 2mm.
NLv97uf.jpg

dodgy

With a custom mudflap, mine is more like 2mm.
NLv97uf.jpg

Have done the same on mine on previous bikes, thinking about adding some velcro strip with the fuzzy bit facing between guard and tyre to stop water from running out.

By the way, what is going on with your stay end caps! :biggrin:

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
I would cut back the mudguard stays on that installation, and file them to a round tip. The plastic caps eventually drop off.

Have done the same on mine on previous bikes, thinking about adding some velcro strip with the fuzzy bit facing between guard and tyre to stop water from running out.

By the way, what is going on with your stay end caps! :biggrin:

This was taken just after install, they have since been trimmed, filed down and the caps installed correctly. ;)

Top Bottom