In praise of the British Seaside.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
We have just spent another very enjoyable weekend in Whitby, we have spent many a weekend here and it keeps drawing us back, they have a lot of themed weekends throughout the year and this draws in some weired and wonderful people, this weekend was pirate weekend, raising money for the RNLI.
If you like pubs Whitby has loads, many with live music and proper beer, we walked from Whitby to Robin Hoods Bay on Saturday, it was very windy but was on our backs so not so bad, there were a lot of people walking the other way which must have been unpleasant.
As a bonus had the best B&B we have ever been in at Whitby and we have tried all sorts of accomodation.
Whats your favourite British Seaside town.

Globalti

Legendary Member
The only one I've ever really liked was Tenby.

Got to agree;
Whitby (1)
@Slioch
Two sisters who are (very long time) friends of mine, organise one of the WGW' parties, & every year seem to invite me (granted, I'd be paying like everyone else - but it's nice to be asked)
However, as I'm not a socialite, SWMBO would be asking why I wanted to go to a nightclub, even though she knows them too

Followed by;
Robin Hoods Bay (not really a town though)
Saltburn

And 'abroad';
St Ives
Torquay
Marazion
Penzance

And... sigh.... Morecambe:blush:
That's a hard one to say for a Yorkshire born & bred lad, but..... my parents took me there a lot as a kid (grand-dad worked on railways, so I think he wangled cheaper tickets??)
I went there a lot in the early-mid 70's & can remember the Super Swimming Stadium being there, if decaying, the Winter Gardens being open & the Midland Hotel (2) being a B&B!

1 Don't like Scarborough, even though it looks good, on the Tour de Yorkshire finishes
It's a bit too much Blackpool-on-the- North Sea for me

Filey, has always struck me as Royston Vasey -by-the-Sea (ie League Of Gentlemen)
A few years ago, a local shopkeeper refused to sell something to the mother-in-law, as even with a pricetag on it, she wasn't selling it to someone who'd take it out of the town!!!

2 Now both are reborn
The Midland is a full-blown glamourous hotel, & the Winter Gardens were being totally renovated

Last edited:

pawl

Legendary Member
We have just spent another very enjoyable weekend in Whitby, we have spent many a weekend here and it keeps drawing us back, they have a lot of themed weekends throughout the year and this draws in some weired and wonderful people, this weekend was pirate weekend, raising money for the RNLI.
If you like pubs Whitby has loads, many with live music and proper beer, we walked from Whitby to Robin Hoods Bay on Saturday, it was very windy but was on our backs so not so bad, there were a lot of people walking the other way which must have been unpleasant.
As a bonus had the best B&B we have ever been in at Whitby and we have tried all sorts of accomodation.

With you on Whitby.Love it.

byegad

Legendary Member

Whitby for the day, Scarborough for a stay. I've been visiting both for well over 60 years.

In 'forn parts, St Valery sur Somme is fabulous, nearly as good as Whitby!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.

Probably Whitby, great memories of 1970's holidays there. Nice sandy beaches, playing in the arcades with handfuls of pennies, walking out the the farthest point on the harbour wall (always seemed to be bloody windy), counting 199 steps & pretending to be Dracula in the church yard...aah...youth:okay:. Plus like most seaside towns, an odd mix of smells, mainly chip fat, fish & candy floss hanging in the air.....

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
Whitley Bay has improved a lot in the 40 years I've been going. There's an Italian family cafe called the Rendezvous on the prom [often featured on Vera!] which hasn't changed at all, except they started to call their mugs of 'white frothy coffee' a cafe latte and the black coffee an Americano to keep up with the trendy rival which opened round the back!

My mum and dad used to drive our Ford Anglia from Leeds to Scarborough/ Whitby/ Bridlington/ Saltburn for the day. Dad's idea of a 'day out' was to sit in the car in the car park watching the sea through the rain-streamed windscreen, eating tinned salmon [mixed with vinegar] sandwiches from a Tupperware box and drinking over-sweetened coffee made with Carnation milk, before I had to battle the wind on the beach to 'take the dog out'. Then we'd pack up and drive home...

D

Deleted member 26715

There might start to be a resurgence from November

OP
OP
Venod

Venod

Eh up
1 Don't like Scarborough, even though it looks good, on the Tour de Yorkshire finishes
It's a bit too much Blackpool-on-the- North Sea for me

I can see where you are coming from with that, but we do a lot of walking at Scarborough and it really is much better than Blackpool, I think its the cluster of amusement places on the south bay that spoils it, now they have demolished the eyesore old theatre things are looking better.
The Harbour Bar for a coffee or icecream is a must, hasn't changed in years.
The town in general is looking a little run down.

The A64 is crying out for a full dual carriageway all the way to Scarborough, it can be very congested at times.

Last edited:
Top Bottom