In praise of the pootle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JPBoothy

Veteran
Hooray, so it's not called getting old and lazy after all then. Over the past five years I have gradually slowed from Sportives rides, to Audax rides, to Charity rides, to "bye dear, I'm off out for a Coffee" rides.

My last ride was on New Years day when I just happened to find myself a new cafe in Parkgate (Wirral). It is definitely about the fresh air, no PB's and as many car free routes as I can find these days. I have a couple of cross bikes so the muddy/leafy bridalways and woodland tracks are my favourite pootling terrain.

Keep on pootling folks :reading:

I've just discovered my cycling style has a name. This is basically what I do, whether commuting, getting the shopping (You can't to anything but pootle on a Bakfiets, trust me) or just going for a ride.

When I was going to college once a week I used to Pootle there and back. My colleagues thought I was wierd, but they would come in late and cold, complaining of problems on the road, traffic lights, etc, and I'd had a gentle trundleover the hills and only had to brake for a fox that wasn't expecting me. I used to spend the whole day looking forward to the return trip...

You both beat me to it with the bimble vs pootle cunundrum. I’d crafted a thought or two but now realise I’m not the only fish in this thought-pond.
But in the spirit of the bimbleur (all the best cycling is Frenchified, n’est pas?) - akin to the Slow Food movement - I’m happy to just be along for the ride, at whosoever’s pace is slowest, till we reach some conclusions. Or go off down a cul de sac if we choose.
I was imagining a sportive des bimbleurs, and working out a slogan for the posters. “Anyone found finishing will be asked to not come back.” Think it could catch on?
Might rush off and secure a few domain names....

I think the German for this would be "Bummeln" which roughly translates as 'stroll' or 'ramble'. Especially as a local branchline is known as a 'bummelbahn'

I also managed a Bimmel on new years eve, just a short one around the fields between storms.

39435103611_3d79aec61e_c.jpg HH_16 by Andy in Germany, on Flickr

38727234894_f04c614aff_c.jpg HH_07 by Andy in Germany, on Flickr

Where a Zeppelin made an emergency landing. If the pictures on the stone are historically accurate, nobody was wearing any clothes at the time.

24569053127_a4f06e5d22_c.jpg HH_06 by Andy in Germany, on Flickr

I tried out a Bike trailer too.

screenman

Legendary Member
Fair enough too. As I say to the younger and faster riders: Don't forget to wave as you go past...

I always have it nod.

subaqua

What’s the point
How many fellow pootlers have we got on CC then?

Pootling is what it’s about . Not giving it beanz and missing stuff . Rather do a 25 mile pootle and see stuff . A pootle of 10 miles to a trig point does more for my wellbeing than a100 mile riding like a loon for a willy wave time to post on the tinterwebs.

Not that racing is a bad thing . Just enjoy pootles more

JPBoothy

Veteran
Does anybody (sorry, any pootler) know of a good book that shows the best bridalways and ex-railway routes that could possibly be linked for a decent length ride? My local one is the Wirral Way and, I have recently discovered the Whitegate Way which can apparently be linked to Delamere Forrest without too much trouble.

Top Bottom