In praise of the pootle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
ChrisEyles

ChrisEyles

Guru
In the spirit of this thread I pootled up a new lane that I'd never pootled before. When the ground is a bit drier I shall pootle beyond the end of the lane onto the bridle path that is there. Was a bit too muddy this morning though, so I pootled back to the main lane, and continued my original pootle.

I had to make that call on one of the bridleways on my last pootle (though it would have been fun on a MTB!). Summer pootling is even better than in the winter :biggrin:

D

Deleted member 1258

I agree with you there abiut the ice.
Fortunately this morning it was just 'crunchy' frost rather than actual ice so care was required but it was pretty safe really.

At times this morning I was dealing with sheet ice, even with the main roads that were supposed to be treated and clear it was slippery, a couple of times I got out of the saddle to climb a rise and just spun up the back wheel, had to back off a bit quick and sit down to avoid throwing it down the road.

JPBoothy

Veteran
At times this morning I was dealing with sheet ice, even with the main roads that were supposed to be treated and clear it was slippery, a couple of times I got out of the saddle to climb a rise and just spun up the back wheel, had to back off a bit quick and sit down to avoid throwing it down the road.
Yes, I found that as soon as my speed picked-up in the areas dried out by the sun, I would turn a corner into the shade and a find myself back in the frost/ice. It's not just the traffic cyclists have to watch out for is it!

D

Deleted member 1258

Yes, I found that as soon as my speed picked-up in the areas dried out by the sun, I would turn a corner into the shade and a find myself back in the frost/ice. It's not just the traffic cyclists have to watch out for is it!

Our rides can get a bit technical on mornings like this morning.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Last edited:

JPBoothy

Veteran
[QUOTE 5109322, member: 43827"]I hope to pootle around Majorca this year.

My cousin has an apartment in Puerto Pollensa which I can have for a week in late summer. I have no intention of joining the people on "training camps" but intend to do four or five days of no more than 40 miles each day on his old hardtail mtb. Plenty of sights to see and stop for an hour or two.

I will get in a lot of dedicated pootling as training throughout the summer in the UK, possibly using Strava to make sure I don't improve my performance.[/QUOTE]
Pootling in the sun with lovely cafes/bars to ensure that you don't dehydrate or let your sugars get low (always thinking healthy :whistle:) is my idea of fun. Enjoy yourself and don't be tempted to chase the lycra racing snakes.

Top Bottom