In praise of wet wipes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Thanks for this information. I am now back to the strips of cloth. :sad:
Thing is you just don't know. Maybe it's naive but you'd like to think that things like the "flushable" wet wipes, seeing as how they are advertised as such, actually would be suitable to be flushed.
I was listening to the radio yesterday and they were interviewing a couple of climate change people and asking what little changes people could make which would help. One of the things they said about was online clothes shopping, or more specifically the returns. Basically a huge amount of the clothes which are returned because they don't fit or they're the wrong colour or whatever, end up in landfill. Alternatively they go to discount retailers and the carbon footprint as a consequence of all this is huge. The retailers don't put them back into stock. The interviewers reaction to this was the same as mine, incredulity, but the interviewees absolutely assured her this was the case. Unsustainable for the retailers and unsustainable for the environment. I looked it up when I got home and it's true, I had absolutely no idea, it had never even crossed my mind. It's not something I've ever done personally but millions of people do and they're causing an enormous problem, but the chances are, they don't even know it.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Thing is you just don't know. Maybe it's naive but you'd like to think that things like the "flushable" wet wipes, seeing as how they are advertised as such, actually would be suitable to be flushed.
I was listening to the radio yesterday and they were interviewing a couple of climate change people and asking what little changes people could make which would help. One of the things they said about was online clothes shopping, or more specifically the returns. Basically a huge amount of the clothes which are returned because they don't fit or they're the wrong colour or whatever, end up in landfill. Alternatively they go to discount retailers and the carbon footprint as a consequence of all this is huge. The retailers don't put them back into stock. The interviewers reaction to this was the same as mine, incredulity, but the interviewees absolutely assured her this was the case. Unsustainable for the retailers and unsustainable for the environment. I looked it up when I got home and it's true, I had absolutely no idea, it had never even crossed my mind. It's not something I've ever done personally but millions of people do and they're causing an enormous problem, but the chances are, they don't even know it.
That sounds horrendous but I think I'd need confirmation from the retailers themselves rather than hearsay from the protesters. It doesn't sound like good business given the quantity of clothing that is returned. The thing that people can do regarding clothing is of course to stop following fashion and actually wear the clothes they've already got until they wear out.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
That sounds horrendous but I think I'd need confirmation from the retailers themselves rather than hearsay from the protesters. It doesn't sound like good business given the quantity of clothing that is returned. The thing that people can do regarding clothing is of course to stop following fashion and actually wear the clothes they've already got until they wear out.
Absolutely, do a bit of googling. Of course the case of Burberry and others burning staggering amounts clothes is well documented.

Last edited:

kynikos

Veteran

I don't think it's naive but I do blame the marketeers. The wording is designed to mislead and make consumers thinks the product is other than what it is.

So it says 'flushable' and not 'safe to flush' and 'flushable' and not 'biodegradable' but the consumer is misled into thinking it's both.

A cut up inner tube is flushable but I wouldn't dream of disposing of it down the loo!

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
Whats wrong with a piece of sandpaper like we used as kids? People are such whimps nowadays^_^
68a6eab1e23c9c7c246486c09037b8d1.jpg

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Where i currently live, i've had to get drains unblocked about 4 times now. Every time it has been wet wipes further down the line.
I'd like to see them banned.
I had to get my drains unblocked twice (ground floor), due to strips of something that I can only assume was wet wipes.
It is costly, it is a really bad experience (my toilet is the last of the stack, so it all regurgitates from mine!), it is minging!!!
Agree with a ban of wet wipes, I gave my upstairs neighbourghs a right bollocking :cursing: but it's true, most folks don't realize.
Well done @steveindenmark for abandoning the idea after reading the facts.

Dave7

Legendary Member
I had to get my drains unblocked twice (ground floor), due to strips of something that I can only assume was wet wipes.
It is costly, it is a really bad experience (my toilet is the last of the stack, so it all regurgitates from mine!), it is minging!!!
Agree with a ban of wet wipes, I gave my upstairs neighbourghs a right bollocking :cursing: but it's true, most folks don't realize.
Well done @steveindenmark for abandoning the idea after reading the facts.
We are the last of approx 15 houses before the main sewer junction. At least 3 times over the last 20 years we have literally had all their sh*t floating in our garden.........it is Not nice.

Mugshot

Cracking a solo.
W.R.C.C Now wash your hands is a statement I remember from school, it was printed on each piece of toilet paper, paper, we used to use it as tracing paper it was that hard.
I can't remember it in school, although I don't doubt it was there. I do remember it from my nans. She had Izal and an outside toilet. I loved my nan, but I didn't relish visiting her.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Smoking is bad for you. I’m not encouraging you to take up smoking for the sake of a bike cleaning experiment, but what about pipe cleaners? Great for cassettes surely. Obviously wire, but I don’t know what the bristles are made from.

Why does smoking a pipe look so enticing?

vickster

Legendary Member
Smoking is bad for you. I’m not encouraging you to take up smoking for the sake of a bike cleaning experiment, but what about pipe cleaners? Great for cassettes surely. Obviously wire, but I don’t know what the bristles are made from.

Why does smoking a pipe look so enticing?
Probably plastic these days :headshake:

Top Bottom