In praise of...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
WP_20160730_11_51_26_Rich.jpg
... Copenhagen

Says all that needs to be said. EVERY town and city and village in the UK? Eat your motor-centric, car dominated, single occupancy, everyone's car is their castle, unsustainable, polluting, idiotic hearts out.

Last edited:

doog

You'd think with all that cycling you wouldn't have the lowest life expectancy in Western Europe.

Good effort though..

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 4391960, member: 45"]Of only they wore helmets...[/QUOTE]
It is the lack of mine eye offending hi-viz that sees em cut down in their prime. Obvs.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
1.5 years according to google

as I said nice effort..hope you dont fly back and forth - what with all that pollution you mentioned
less than 5 months according to google. We could play this all evening.

Does the plane not fly if I am not on it I wonder?

Maybe you can see if google can tell you how the air quality in UK large towns and cities stacks up against Copenhagen...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Would it be terribly churlish to point to this news report?
http://cphpost.dk/news/local-news/poor-air-quality-in-copenhagen.html

Or to observe that unfriendly, car obsessed London actually has more cycling per day in km travelled than Copenhagen? A number that's still growing, and set fair to accelerate away...

It's tempting to fetishise the success achieved abroad, but it's important to acknowledge that nowhere is perfect, and that Britain has achieved a lot.

Kominic

Regular
There's nothing wrong with owning a car. That said, Copenhagen is a cool place. Too flat for me though.

Arellcat

Or to observe that unfriendly, car obsessed London actually has more cycling per day in km travelled than Copenhagen? A number that's still growing, and set fair to accelerate away...

I can well imagine London has more cycling distance per day, if it simply has far more citizens doing it than Copenhagen. There are as many people living in London as there are in the whole of Scotland. So what proportion of Londoners' total trip distance per day is cycling, and how does that compare with Copenhagen?

doog

Define 'Western Europe'.... does it include Cyprus? The Czech Republic? Croatia? Slovakia? Hungary?

If you use the UN Geoscheme definition then neither the UK or Denmark are part of 'Western Europe'. And if you look at the CIA World Factbook definition, you'd have to omit Italy, Switzerland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Austria, Luxembourg and several others.

If you use the UN 'Western Europe and Other' grouping then you'd have to include Turkey. If you use the Eu definition then you'd have to include the countries above.

Its from the Danes themselves...contact them and ask them to define it.

http://www.thelocal.dk/20150923/denmark-lowest-life-expectancy-western-europe-who

doog

You missed this bit then...

"Denmark's life expectancy figures, however, are above the average of 80.3 years for women and 73.1 years for men among the 52 countries included in WHO's European Region."

Yes thats the European Region average. I specifically said Western Europe as per the article.

Top Bottom