In praise of...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RedRider

Pulling through
This sort of activity takes its toll, of both sides:okay:

I've seen a hundred thousand Danish women who would whip your ass,.

GrumpyGregry, Today at 17:14Report
Top#44Like+ QuoteReply
i live with one. you wanna see the way she rides up the 8% hill to our house with a five-year-old on the back. imperious

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Would it be terribly churlish to point to this news report?
http://cphpost.dk/news/local-news/poor-air-quality-in-copenhagen.html

Or to observe that unfriendly, car obsessed London actually has more cycling per day in km travelled than Copenhagen? A number that's still growing, and set fair to accelerate away...

It's tempting to fetishise the success achieved abroad, but it's important to acknowledge that nowhere is perfect, and that Britain has achieved a lot.
Would it be churlish to point out that the population of London exceeds that of Denmark and whilst cycling is on the up in central London as a % of modal share there it is woeful compared to cph? And London's infrastructure doesn't even bear comparison?

and the air quality argument doesn't hold up...

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Would it be churlish to point out that the population of London exceeds that of Denmark
Mildly.

I'm not saying that London is perfect - far from it - just that it's wrong to fetishise one particular overseas city at the expense of the huge strides made in the UK recently. As any Amsterdammer who knows their history will tell you (and I bet Denmark has a similar history) you've got to start somewhere.

Over the last 20 years in London during which I've been cycle commuting bicycling has gone from being a peripheral activity indulged in by eccentrics and couriers to being a natural choice for getting around the centre of the city, recognised by residents and commuters as sensible and helpful to air quality and general health, and by local politicians as an essential part of the transport mix.

OP
OP
GrumpyGregry

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Nor should we, in the UK, fetishise London. The huge strides are, I fear, extremely local. The 'sham, indeed the entire county of West Sussex, is a shite can for cycling. And the infrastructure installed hereabouts whilst I've been trundling around Greater Copenhagen is actually worse than the stuff it replaced. ;)

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Danish_Rollmops.jpg
Danish women may well be beautiful. The local food is still absolutely sh1tty though.
I would rather pour 60% sulphuric acid down my gullet than eat rollmops

Last edited:
Top Bottom