In search of a calmer me.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
:laugh: That just reminded me of one of those Russian road-rage videos I saw last year I think: after a near-miss, one of the cars came to a stop in front of the other, then the front car's driver got out of the car, armed with an axe! :eek:

Yikes !

A biffing with a soft rounders bat would be rather more comic..

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Yesterday i counted four motorists who seriously wound me up! One Overtook me at a pinch point then stopped to let another car out. One pulled off a pub car park as i was doing 27mph down a hill,then he pulled into the estate a hundred yards down the road,the lazy twat!One overtook me to turn left as i was a yard from the junction,and the other close passed me so much i felt the wing mirror brush my thigh!
I compare these nasty gits to the thousands of vehicles that must've passed me on my 2 and a half hour ride,not one of them giving me grief,most of them respecting my right to be on the road and my right to make it home safely! However when i got home no matter how i tried i couldn't erase the actions of the four idiots out my mind.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
If you spend enough miles on a bike, you will have some awkward moments. It is unrealistic to expect otherwise. When those moments occur, it's your choice. You can take steps to prevent similar events happening to other riders...or you can shrug it off. The former is laudable, the latter perhaps selfish. Ultimately, it's just a question of what you want to do with your time.

classic33

Leg End Member
I'll block cars coming from behind on narrow roads, and pull over to let them through here and there, but if a bully insists on forcing his way past me from in front, there's not much to do

I sometimes have to get into the hedge when some part of me usually ends up in some sort of contact with the wing mirror. A sarcastic forelock-tug or even bow, or hand clap has been seen from time to time as well. These types usually drive out of a perfectly safe passing space rather than wait 3 seconds for me to get past safely.

If they want to get twisted knickers and get all shouty I can generally respond or simply ride off. The road is too narrow for them to turn around and chase after me and there are plenty of points where I can divert away from the road. These bullies won't leave their precious safety cages, as a rule.

Yesterday evening, I had just cause to carry a soft rounders bat in my hand on one such road and waving it about did have an interesting effect upon motorists.

View attachment 48536
Carrying a pick axe handle home after buying it got similar results. A wider than usual berth being given when passing me.

I watched a programme a few years ago that traveled with 'white van man'(WVM) to see why he got wound up.

Through the day, WVM pointed out several pieces of bad driving and barked and bibbed at most of them. The presenter asked him how often days were like this, and was told "every day", so the presenter asked, "in which case, why are you still surprised by it?".

The argument was that, you know these events are liable to happen before you set off, so they shouldn't surprise you, and they argued that surprise is part of the anger. I'm not 100% convinced by the last bit, but I reckon the general point's valid.

However we travel, even on foot, there's a fair chance we'll see someone do something we see as wrong. The rest of it is down to our own mindset.

I've had terrible road rage in the past, including jumping out with an iron bar and ramming another car with mine, but I find a smile, and a wave when people think I've cocked up works far better, even if it was them in the wrong. Getting angry changes nothing but your blood pressure.

On my bike, I ride assertively, but try not to Police other drivers. I just try to get on my way safely and efficiently.

Having said that, not that long ago, on a single track road (or was it a galaxy far, far away) I did just stop plumb in the middle of the road and insisted a car reverse back to the passing place they'd just ignored, so I don't think I've qualified for my orange robes just yet.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Although I'm 54, I still lift 75lb dumbells 4 or 5 times a week, so on the rare occasions I've had a confrontation with an irate car driver I just roll up my sleeves to above the shoulders and show of me cannons! :ohmy: Usually works,

Sad but true! :tongue:

byegad

Legendary Member
No matter how right you are and how wrong a motorist is in a given situation. The guy in a metal cage has the ability to take your life any time he wants! So best to avoid outright confrontation.

In my two wheel riding days I acquired/developed a professional wobble. When a motorist looked like they were going to get too close I'd wobble rather dramatically. This usually had the effect of making them less certain that you were in full control and most drivers will then give you a wide berth.

Now I'm low down and on three wheels there are precious few drivers willing to play chicken or 'punishment' pass me so I don't need the wobble. I suspect I'm perceived as disabled!
I do 'look over my shoulder'* on narrow roads when I spot a vehicle behind, and I'm perfectly happy to pull in and wave a driver past me when safe to do so, most drivers are very patient and considerate. As I ride the same country roads again and again I think it best not to antagonise a driver who I could well meet again.

*As I'm recumbent and have a glasses mirror and two mirrors on the trikes I don't need to look back and in fact when I do I can only see a few yards of road alongside my back wheel. The 'look back' is to let the driver know that I'm aware of his presence.

jarlrmai

Veteran
It's the adrenaline that takes over for me, fast close passes trigger it the most.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It is a tough problem to deal with.

Since returning to cycle-commuting in 2008 I've realised that some conflict points are built into the infrastructure and where possible/reasonable I have re-routed or re-timed my commute to avoid the worst of them. Some are unavoidable and for those only riding very assertively through those situations and mentally resolving to be immune to the negative responses that arise from a tiny minority of drivers who react badly to my assertive positioning gets me through. Two hours a working day on a bike almost inevitably brings me into contact/conflict with a couple of complete nobbers a month. Go out on the weekend too for a long ride and the odds are someone will behave like a bellend around me about once a week.

And it is probably wrong but I've signed up to the "He didn't actually hit me so let it go" school of thought, which means those who make contact (two since last summer") reap the whirlwind.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
It's the adrenaline that takes over for me, fast close passes trigger it the most.
Yep. I had to make a choice... learn to control my adrenaline fuelled fight or flight responses or stop riding. I found a few weeks of riding much more slowly than usual meant I wasn't as hyped to start with when the close passes came and was better able to deal with their impact. Then I just built the speed up again over time and - touch wood - it is still hanging together.

jarlrmai

Veteran
I get at least 2 per 30 mile ride, and this is on a sunny Sunday evening on non urban roads.

Mainly close passes on 40 mph roads by cars doing 50+, generally the car is long gone and I'm just yelling out of surprise/fear.

My commute is 10-15 minutes in my work clothes on a single speed and I still get 1-2 a week, mainly driving at me when I'm going past parked cars, although a few cut ups on 20mph roads.

Joshua Plumtree

Approaching perfection from a distance.
Try to stick to country lanes for most of my recreational riding.

Worst offenders, I find, especially on the local coast road, are bus drivers who never seem to alter their flight path or velocity whatever the road conditions in front of them! :blush: Which is great if you're looking for a push up a steep incline, but can be a little hairy at times!

Anyone would think they have a time-table to stick to! :whistle:

Trevor_P

Just concentrate on being polite and giving a nod / wave to those who wait / give way like they are supposed to. Every time I see a red car, I ask myself what frame of mind I'm in. Helps to notice when I'm getting wound up. Expect the worst all the time.

That works for me driving my truck every day.

OP
OP
Jon George

Jon George

Mamil and couldn't care less
I'm presuming avoiding this bit of road isn't an option.
Ah, there's the rub - it is an option. But, as I've said previously, I'm inclined to stand up to bullies and am currently weighing up the options of altering a route for the sake of a quiet life and bowing to their intimidation, or doing something about it. And don't worry, I've been told on numerous occasions throughout my life that I something make things difficult for myself. :whistle:

Top Bottom