"in stock" when I ordered

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User6179

When I read the title of the thread I thought Tredz .

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
In all honesty, what they are doing is false advertising. Ideally they should say 'ordered upon request' with x or y amount of lead time etcetc. There are a few retailers that do things this way. Ive seen tredz do this too on some of their products.

It seems like someone isnt checking their stock levels properly

Last edited:
Reactions: mjr
OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Or it's a deliberate ploy.
It helps cashflow immensely if you can sell stuff which isn't stocked, especially if customers pay up front for goods.
Fortunately my PayPal defaults to "pay after delivery".

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In all honesty, what they are doing is false advertising. Ideally they should say 'ordered upon request' with x or y amount of lead time etcetc. There are a few retailers that do things this way. Ive seen tredz do this too on some of their products.

It seems like someone isnt checking their stock levels properly
Maybe @Oldfentiger or someone else with a stack of their "oh I'm sorry it's not in stock" emails would like to complain at www.asa.org.uk ?

jowwy

Can't spell, Can't Punctuate....Sue Me
i had the same experience with probike kit when i purchased the clement strada lgg 32's......one tyre arrived in a box and in the second box was muscle tape.

they informed me the muscle tape was sent because the 2nd tyre was out of stock, so they sent tape instead. Both tyres were in stock when i purchased them.

they then wanted me to fill in an unsent items form before refunding my money, so they could check with royal mail that the item wasn't recieved, knowing they hadnt sent it.......2 emails later and refund was given for unsent tyre

I just ordered the same from BikeInn.
£5.73 cheaper too.
Reported as in stock, so we'll see.
Touch wood it doesn't happen to you but thats the only company I've had me messed about with this out of order in stock stuff I ordered a Skinsuit that was 'in stock'. Just as it was approaching the delivery date, they emailed me a new delivery date as it was out of stock. No problem I thought as it was cheap but they done the same thing and then did it again. At least when I said I was taking my business elsewhere they were quick to refund without any further hassle

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Beware their website photos too. Recently ordered a stem on the strength of the photo showing the current model, received the earlier version. Would have returned it but for needing it urgently.

Or it's a deliberate ploy.
No. I mean, keeping stock low is obviously part of their plan, but it's not deep.

My one experience was ordering an expensive lock. I threw in some brake pads. Got their standard "out of stock" email, and cancelled the order. They wrote to say that they had the lock in stock, and would I like it straight away. I'd already price matched it at Evans, so they lost a sale there.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
The ASA would only be relevant if they were advertising something at one price and then expecting you to pay another
Huh? "Marketers must monitor stocks. If a product becomes unavailable, marketers must, whenever possible, withdraw or amend marketing communications that feature that product" is the part of the ASA code that the Tredz website seems not to comply with.

- Tredz T&Cs probably contain a get out clause around actual stock levels at the time of advertising.
Not that I can see.

Who's to say someone didn't order the last one just before he did?
Then they should show that there is only 1 left in stock, not simply say "in stock": "Marketers must make a reasonable estimate of demand for advertised products" and "if estimated demand exceeds supply, marketing communications must make clear that stock is limited".

If they're knowingly advertising and taking payment for something that they do not have in stock then that would be fraudulent and recourse would be to the police or Trading Standards.
That's hard to prove. The ASA refer fraud cases to Trading Standards, if their investigation uncovers it - and the ASA's questions are far more likely to be answered than a random member of the public.

OP
OP
Oldfentiger

Oldfentiger

Veteran
Reporting this in the interests of fairness.
The tyres and tubes just hit the doormat, so only a couple of days delay on this occasion.
Doesn't alter my stance on them not actually being in stock when I ordered.

Top Bottom