In the sky the other morning

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I was up at the field the other morning just before the sun was coming up, Tuesday I think it was, there was a small dot at the side of the moon. As I faced the moon in the East it was just to the right & slightly lower of it, I did try to take an image but it hasn't come out very well. TBH I thought it was redder than the image shows.

Anyone know what it is/was?

IMG_20221208_073805_685.jpeg

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Saw this the other night, but it was to the lower left at around 7-8pm when I was looking. Asked the kids to look at it as I thought it was a cluster of lights and wondered if this was my dodgy old eyes or if maybe it was the international space station with sails out? Seemed to be keeping aligned with the moon which suggested orbiting the earth rather than a distant planet or other.... Must be a satellite or similar?

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Two (?) nights ago, Mars was occluded by the moon, i.e. went out of sight behind it, not long after moonrise. I remembered just half an hour or so too late.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Two (?) nights ago, Mars was occluded by the moon, i.e. went out of sight behind it, not long after moonrise. I remembered just half an hour or so too late.
No, this was in the morning, looking at the image it was yesterday morning at 07:38

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
No, this was in the morning, looking at the image it was yesterday morning at 07:38

Yes, I know it was! I'm just letting you know that a couple of evenings ago the moon was actually in front of Mars!

Edit: about 18:30, I'll look up the details tomorrow.

Edit 2: Looks like I got my timings wrong! Could've sworn it was just after moonrise, but apparently it was just before moonset yesterday.
Sorry!
https://in-the-sky.org/news.php?id=20221208_16_100

Last edited:

stephec

Legendary Member
Here's what happened, Mars approached the moon on the lower left as you look at it, disappeared behind and then reappeared an hour later on the lower right hand side, there was no way I was getting my telescope out at that time in the morning though.

IMG_20221209_221018.jpg

Top Bottom