Incident In Netherton, Liverpool - Including 'electric bike'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all
found this in the echo
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/rider-taken-hospital-after-modified-20631204

sounds like a modified mountain bike collided with a lampost and fell off

but there must be more to it than that as there are WAY to many cops present for that

I'm expecting a flood of anti ebike rubbish to appear in the comments etc
anyone know what is going on???
If the 'all electric bike need to be banned as one passed me at 200mph' community start posting stuff it would be nice to have some facts!

thanks

Bobario

Veteran
No idea what is/was happening but the cars appear to have Matrix squad stickers in the rear windows. Matrix is the Merseyside police anti-gang unit. Could be the rider was a known gang member, the police wanted a word and he decided he had more important things to do and sped off straight into the lamp post. Other scenario's are also possible.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Im not entirely sure what relevance calling it a "Modified bike" has to do with anything unless they happen to know it is an illegal system (higher than 250w) and is even modified at all...

OP
OP
E
Im not entirely sure what relevance calling it a "Modified bike" has to do with anything unless they happen to know it is an illegal system (higher than 250w) and is even modified at all...
Could be a normal legal DIY mod to a mountain bike
but the Police presence and the fact that it seems to have collided with a lampost in a car park suggests something else!!!

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Could be a normal legal DIY mod to a mountain bike
but the Police presence and the fact that it seems to have collided with a lampost in a car park suggests something else!!!
Indeed. That's gutter journalism for you. All the article really says is man on "modified bike" hits a lampost! The pictures raise the questions but the journalist doesn't!
It's achieved exactly what it was supposed to do. Attract clicks from people such as this person in the comments of that article

"It's ridiculously easy to change a normal bike into an ebike that far outstrips the legally permitted engine size and max speed.

The police need to be clamping down on ebikes. Some can go as fast as a motorbike, with no requirements for test, insurance, safety kit etc."

dodgy

Sorry - should have been more clear
This is from the Liverpool Echo - as written in Manchester - this is good for them!!!!

You misunderstand. Read my post again. The Echo appears to imply the bike rode itself into a lampost. We see this sloppy writing by journalists all too often.

dodgy

And here's another one from just a few hours ago
View: https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1395040909398585347

1621447318227.png

Leaving aside the journalism, I used to work in Netherton. To call it an area of sink estates would be giving it glamour it doesn't deserve.
It was a culture shock to say the least. I would be very surprised if the bike hadn't been modded.
All the cliches about scousers are frequently wide of the mark, but not in Netherton. A scary place for the unwary.

irw

Quadricyclist
You misunderstand. Read my post again. The Echo appears to imply the bike rode itself into a lampost. We see this sloppy writing by journalists all too often.

This is the Liverpool Echo- a complete and miserable waste of paper and energy...even the Bristol Post probably has more credence....

dodgy

This is the Liverpool Echo- a complete and miserable waste of paper and energy...even the Bristol Post probably has more credence....
Yep, they ran out of news a long time ago. It's just a poundland version of buzzfeed now.

Drago

Legendary Member
As a user group we should be strenuously distancing ourself from illegal ebikes, and encouraging the press to refer to them in correct terms as electeic mopeds or motorcycles.

They are going to end up getting legal ebikes regulated at this rate, and this is why such "harmless" talk about derestriction or stupid power conversions seriously boils my piss. The further we can separate ourselves as a user group, and the greater the public understanding we can cultivate, then hopefully we might be able to avoid it.

Remember - when things go wrong the British way is invariably to punish the innocent with greater restrictions, licencing, etc, because its easier than punishing the perps and the politicians can tell the gullible masses how hard they've "cracked down" on the problem.

Top Bottom