Incomming - motorcyclist turns to pedal power :-)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Renevator

Hello all

I'm having a late mid life crisis, and considering spending some of my 'motorcycle' savings on a bicycle - hence me hanging around here (thanks for the acceptance though :-))

Seriously, I've got to 61 and realised I needed to do summat about the drawback to my desk bound job, and my general lack of exercise. Having just joined a gym, I'm thinking, why not get a bike too. The motorcycle savings aren't going as well as planned, and I reckon dipping into them a bit for a pedal powered set of 2 wheels will light a different spark for the next few years while I carry on saving for that fix. I'm not giving up motorcycles just yet :-).

So anyway - I'll post a question on the proper 'What bike' tab, as suggested, as I've no idea where to start really, but my initial thoughts are a nice cyclocross or gravel bike will probably serve me well. I'm just keen to get something fo recreational use, getting fit, mostly road, bit of bridalway etc - you know, just a good all round capable bike that will serve well for a few years. Then when I've got one, no doubt I'll start the whole upgrade/add on toy thing.......what fun!

I'm well aware that my timing in buying a bike couldn't be worse - but I'm happy to go secondhand - oh yeah, all advice welcome in that dept too, as I'm sure there's many a pitfall I haven't accounted for - though my motorcycle buying/owning years may give me a clue ;-)

So apart from the bike, and joining quality forums like this, where do I start to educate myself about all things 'cycling' ?

I've got a local friend who's into mountain bikes, whose taught me a couple of things, and even sold me his unused carrera cyclocross bike a while back (but I needed to sell that last year for various reasons - yeah, I know, what a plonker!).

Are there any recommended 'maintenance' books, how do I educate myself about components, frame quality, tyre choice etc. For instance, how does a novice know a good groupset from a bad one (apart from price and "it's on a £2000 bike thus it must be good" ). How do you learn all these things apart from just years of being in the market, as it were. I'd like to educate myself a bit before taking the plunge.

So anyway that's me for now. Shropshire cycling wanna be, hoping to learn, enjoy and contribute to the whole cycling scene.

Cheers - great forum by the way - seems to have a mass of super educated and helpful folk on here - not like some of those dodgy motorcycle forums ha ha!!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Wow that’s a lot of questions 😆 welcome to the forum!

I’m far from an expert but I’ve recently discovered the park tools YouTube channel with some maintenance videos that have helped a non-mechanicy person like me! Might be useful? I have no idea about group sets. Many will disagree but I’d argue that the best thing is to get a second hand decent bike and ride it and simply upgrade bits as you need to! Don’t overthink!

IaninSheffield

Veteran
:welcome:
So apart from the bike, and joining quality forums like this, where do I start to educate myself about all things 'cycling' ?
A YouTube channel I sometimes find helpful across a range of topics is the Global Cycling Network https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuTaETsuCOkJ0H_GAztWt0Q
Although I have little interest in road racing, or competitive cycling more generally, the channel does feature aspects of cycling which do sometimes capture my attention. In particular, vids on maintenance when I'm wrangling a particular problem, componentry if I'm looking for a particular upgrade, locations if I'm considering touring an area, and general interest cycling topics. There's loads of stuff on the competitive side of things too if that's your thing. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but i find it useful to dip in and out of.

Justified_Sinner

I'm having a late mid life crisis, and considering spending some of my 'motorcycle' savings on a bicycle - hence me hanging around here (thanks for the acceptance though :-))

Welcome!

I, too, have struggled to find a book but this one is pretty good - it is very basic and there is something very reassuring about the hand-drawn illustrations!

Chainbreaker - A rough guide to bicycle maintenance

Also, if any of your local clubs/shops/co-ops run maintenance classes, I strongly recommend those. I spent £60 on a 4 hour class and it set me up for everything I need to do to keep the bikes on the road. (This is after some 30 years, cycling all my adult life and I still never got round to learning how to index my gears!)

As to what is best, well, read the reviews online - ones from the cycling press, not the ones on commercial websites, obviously - and ask questions in here: people here are unbelievably generous with their advice.

:bicycle:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Indeed! I ride a Ribble CGR-AL and it is wonderful. They have hellish long wait times at the moment, though. (3 months)

If I had the cash, and wasn't going to get murdered from MrsF for another bike, I'd be looking at Ribble (I have a steel 653) or the PX Space Chicken or Free Ranger

OP
OP
R

Renevator

Brilliant, many thanks for all those tips everyone. I've since stumbled across the Global Cycling Network channel looking for bike reviews etc, but thanks for the recommendation Ian.
And I'll definitely have a look at getting those books, and will check out those other youtube channels.

Most of all, I think Cathryn, you've probably given me the best advice in your last 3 words :laugh:. I really do tend to overthink.

For example, I started out with an idea I'd spend about £200-£300 on a secondhand hybrid of some sort, then came across a Boardman CX Comp for about £450, then a Boardman CX Team for £595, then read that some thought these were a bit heavy, so started to find out about Kinesis and Canyon, and was then looking at secondhand gravel versions for £800+ - then yesterday ended up chatting to a very helpful chap in my local Trek store who recommended a gravel bike over a Cyclocross (as he said cyclocross are too focused, less relaxed ride etc for general use, and no point if you're not actually doing cyclocross). After learning a fair bit about the state of the bike industry just now, scarcity of bikes, parts etc due to covid, and how I might come unstuck (long wait) if I needed to replace some crucial parts on a used buy - I came home wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy new at about £1500!!! :ohmy: - and funnily enough, the Ribble CGR AL was something I was lusting after last night - so that's really interesting to hear how much you guys rate it. Interesting how £1000 seems to be the accepted starting budget - well from the shops I went to yesterday anyway - I wonder why ^_^.

So as you so astutely put it Cathryn - don't overthink ^_^.

Top Bottom