Inconsiderate Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C R

Guru
Karma - is now what I say instead of a load of expletives to a driver who probably didn't hear me anyway. It worked for Earl Hickey ^_^
I think you misspelled camera ;).

I'm not very good at the staying calm thing ... but one philosophy I heard that helps:

Regard every hazard on the road the same; just random sheet that you need to plan for, mitigate, deal with, etc.
Treat bad drivers like gravel, or potholes, or deer crossing; being angry about them won't stop them happening the next time you ride your bike. They're just one (small) part of the challenge of riding safely and smoothly to where you're going. Take satisfaction in arriving safely, and anticipating every hazard en-route :angel:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Works, causes total confusion. :laugh:

fossyant

Anyway, I restored the fine balance of Karma on my lunch road ride.

Riding out of the village a HGV driver hung back patiently as the road wasn't great for passing, and there were a few parked cars. As soon as I could, I hopped onto the pavement (no peds) and this enabled him to pass with a 'toot toot' and a wave from me. Delayed me by a second or two.

No pedestrians were harmed in restoring karma.

fossyant

We've had some real good reactions to smile and wave, especially on group rides. Speed past, blasting their horns, then you all wave and shout 'hiya' - total confused look, and usually a finger, but it's funny.

Equally had instances where we were cut up, and one of the lads was a track sprinter, so took off after the car - he caught them and the argument was in full flight by the time the rest of us arrived, only then the driver buggered off sharpish.

fossyant

Don't do what Nigel Bishop (Milk Race Yellow Jersey holder) did - we got cut up on a club run, chased the car down, and put his metal cleat from his time shoes into the car door. Driver wasn't impressed, but my mate just took out his warrant card an told him what's he'd done and better move on.:whistle:

Out of interest - what does the collective wisodm think is the best thing for a driver to do when passing a group ride and wants to warn them he/she is passing?

A couple of years ago I stayed behind a group for ages due to busses, traffic and then a narrow road.
When A long straight stretch came up I accelerated up the right hand side of the road - with a large gap - and tooted my horn to warn them I was there
The people at the back gave me a collection of waves and thumbs up as they knew I had been behind for a while
As i got level with the front one of the riders yelled 'f*** off you c***' - just level with the grandkids open window
Clearly he had mis-interpreted the 'toot' as an angry "get out of the way you load of non road tax paying road hogs" - but how else could I warn them??

Any ideas???
personally I would like cars to have a happier horn designed to be used as a thank you and such like - maybe

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Out of interest - what does the collective wisodm think is the best thing for a driver to do when passing a group ride and wants to warn them he/she is passing?

A couple of years ago I stayed behind a group for ages due to busses, traffic and then a narrow road.
When A long straight stretch came up I accelerated up the right hand side of the road - with a large gap - and tooted my horn to warn them I was there
The people at the back gave me a collection of waves and thumbs up as they knew I had been behind for a while
As i got level with the front one of the riders yelled 'f*** off you c***' - just level with the grandkids open window
Clearly he had mis-interpreted the 'toot' as an angry "get out of the way you load of non road tax paying road hogs" - but how else could I warn them??

Any ideas???
personally I would like cars to have a happier horn designed to be used as a thank you and such like - maybe
Probably a 'Ride Leader' :rolleyes:

Top Bottom