Inconsiderate Drivers

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
H

homebuilds

Don't do what Nigel Bishop (Milk Race Yellow Jersey holder) did - we got cut up on a club run, chased the car down, and put his metal cleat from his time shoes into the car door. Driver wasn't impressed, but my mate just took out his warrant card an told him what's he'd done and better move on.:whistle:
I did something similar many years ago when I was a Despatch Rider (motorcycle) in London. Put my boot through a taxi drivers radiator grill

Last edited:
personally I would like cars to have a happier horn designed to be used as a thank you and such like - maybe
Gone are the days of horning to give an indication. More for emergency situation to avoid collision etc. Too many people including motorists take it the wrong way around. Just too much aggro. I can't even remember the last time I even used the horn.

Just overtake with care.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Out of interest - what does the collective wisodm think is the best thing for a driver to do when passing a group ride and wants to warn them he/she is passing?

A couple of years ago I stayed behind a group for ages due to busses, traffic and then a narrow road.
When A long straight stretch came up I accelerated up the right hand side of the road - with a large gap - and tooted my horn to warn them I was there
The people at the back gave me a collection of waves and thumbs up as they knew I had been behind for a while
As i got level with the front one of the riders yelled 'f*** off you c***' - just level with the grandkids open window
Clearly he had mis-interpreted the 'toot' as an angry "get out of the way you load of non road tax paying road hogs" - but how else could I warn them??

Any ideas???
personally I would like cars to have a happier horn designed to be used as a thank you and such like - maybe
Toot toot.
1626283771564.png

Yup - something like that
plus a clear indication from the government - via the Highway Code - about how and when it should be used

so - basically - no chance

Drago

Legendary Member
Out of interest - what does the collective wisodm think is the best thing for a driver to do when passing a group ride and wants to warn them he/she is passing?

A couple of years ago I stayed behind a group for ages due to busses, traffic and then a narrow road.
When A long straight stretch came up I accelerated up the right hand side of the road - with a large gap - and tooted my horn to warn them I was there
The people at the back gave me a collection of waves and thumbs up as they knew I had been behind for a while
As i got level with the front one of the riders yelled 'f*** off you c***' - just level with the grandkids open window
Clearly he had mis-interpreted the 'toot' as an angry "get out of the way you load of non road tax paying road hogs" - but how else could I warn them??

Any ideas???
A driver should just drive safely and with courtesy, and don't co,mit to any overtake until their exit is clear, cos thats all they can realistically do. If the average rider ever bothered to look anywhere other than dead ahead there would be no need for polite toot toots, semaphore or ads on the local radio to warn them of ones presence.

boydj

Legendary Member

Any ideas???

No need to toot. Why would they need a warning if you are leaving the recommended amount of space? The cyclists at the back will be well aware of your presence and will warn those further up than an overtake is happening.

DRM

Guru
Don't do what Nigel Bishop (Milk Race Yellow Jersey holder) did - we got cut up on a club run, chased the car down, and put his metal cleat from his time shoes into the car door. Driver wasn't impressed, but my mate just took out his warrant card an told him what's he'd done and better move on.:whistle:
Reminds me of a tale I was told of by the handyman where I used to work, he was out on a Sunday club run many years ago and the group were pulled over by 2 plods in a panda car, who proceeded to berate them for riding two abreast, holding up traffic etc, one of the riders told them they were wrong and should find out the law before stating incorrect facts, apparently they got even more stroppy and threatening and didn’t get the hint when first asked which station do you work at, followed by whose your sergeant, so the bloke got his warrant card out and told them to report to his office first thing Monday to discuss it further, he was a high ranking police officer himself apparently

Went to the seaside yesterday, using buses which take 'the scenic route' along the lanes and through the villages. There were lots of cyclists and a few horse riders out and about, individually and in small groups. I was very impressed with the bus drivers' standard of driving around both cyclists and horse riders, and the patience, courtesy and consideration shown by the drivers on both the outward and return (by a different route) journeys - and I told them so and thanked them. Lovely clean buses too - well done Blackpool Transport! The buses were also punctual, so clearly hanging back behind cyclists until it was safe to overtake, or stopping entirely so a horserider can safely make a right turn, doesn't lose much time from the schedule at all.
It can be done - as also shown by Fossyant's HGV encounter - and it makes sharing the roads so much safer and more pleasant for everyone.

RoMeR

Über Member
Anyway, I restored the fine balance of Karma on my lunch road ride.

Riding out of the village a HGV driver hung back patiently as the road wasn't great for passing, and there were a few parked cars. As soon as I could, I hopped onto the pavement (no peds) and this enabled him to pass with a 'toot toot' and a wave from me. Delayed me by a second or two.

No pedestrians were harmed in restoring karma.
I have done the same a few times with the same outcome, it's a good feeling.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
You don't have to deal with Police Scotland ^_^
Police Scotland are sadly, and proudly, behind the curve when it comes to proactive policing of dangerous drivers. They have refused to implement any sort of third party dashcam reporting and people in Scotland have to show extraordinary persistence to bring any dangerous drivers to book. Forces south of the border now have national standards set which every force is expected to be working towards, thanks to Andy Cox, Kyle Gordon and the national dashcam working group.

Avon & Somerset's officers driving this scheme think third party reporting is the biggest thing to happen to roads policing in a generation and stands to make a substantial difference to how people drive in my area. I am fortunate.

Top Bottom