Increase commuting distance - route East London

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ak88

I commute around 10 miles roundtrip or less sometimes (Canary Wharf to City - Bishopsgates) and lately been taking the most direct route for other reasons.

Now looking to do the Dunwich Dynamo (!) and need to start increasing my route distance - any one with ideas for a decent routes?

I thought of adding the tear drop of the Isle of Dogs to the route - thats around a couple of miles I think.

Keith Oates

Janner
I don't know your area so can't comment on a route, but when I'm in situations like that I start the commute by going away from the destination and then doubling back. I find it good because every mile going in the wrong direction adds two to the commuting distance!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

robjs

The only thing to remember about going around the Isle of Dogs is that there are a number of different schools down there, so if you're commuting near dropping off/picking up time then it's very stop-start when you're riding there.

I live just around Westferry DLR, so all my routes start in the area where you're talking about - you could increase your distance by heading further out east, or north. It really depends on how your tolerance for traffic is.

Something like this might make your journey a bit longer - yet still manageable:

Google Maps

It's a bit of a step up, but it's an OK route, for London, at least.

Tynan

Veteran
ak, I want to do that, we should talk yeah?

doing plenty of miles but in 13 miles bites, if I canmanage I'm going to go on some club runs on Sundays, loads of 50-80 nile rides going on it seems, a few of them oughta do the trick

today will be 50 miles

work, home again to take the kid to the optician, then into London for evening classes, then back

dragging a pannier of notes and books

Tynan

Veteran
some sort of forum dun group/thread/club run is called for then?

I defo want to do it, perhaps we should have a few dummy runs to get used to the route ...

in our new cyclechat jersies?

they're taking booking for coaches back although I get the impression there's always seats to spare

edit: no they're not
Dunwich Dynamo 16
Saturday 19 July - Sunday 20 July 2008

Saturday 19th July: Dunwich Dynamo 16 The legend. Much more detail here and early bird coach tickets back around March 2008. Full price from 1 June 2008. The 2007 FAQ's are now history but might keep you going.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Sounds like a plan. Given my location I will give the bus a miss as I intend to cycle the 30 miles home afterwards.

Tynan

Veteran
excellent, more plans nearer the time then, sounds like three of us already

we can kill ourselves in company

I've added you two to my buddies list, whatever that be, I might then remember who you are in a month or so's time

4F

haha Is that like internet stalking ??

4F

Nice one. When you look at it like that you appreciate how chuffing far it is.

Tynan

Veteran
drove to Southwold last year (very nice) and that was far, this is further

ah well, we have all night, cafe doesn't open until 6am

4F

Yep fair point. I note it goes through Needham Market which is about 2 miles from where I work so when the nights get longer I will incorporate the last leg into my commute home.

ChrisKH

Guru
Tynan

I'm looking for a route to the Dartford suspension bridge from the City and the most direct route is along the A13 for most of the way. I can get home via country lanes from there. It struck me you might already know if there are any parts I should watch out for traffic wise? Do you know any alternative routes that would be better?

Thanks.

OP
OP
A

ak88

Thanks everyone for the replies

robjs - thanks for the route - I might actually consider that route - whats the Stratford one way like? Been round at the weekend and it wasn't too bad. But rush hour?

Dun run - we can look out for each other - I'm doing it with some one at work and an ex-colleague. Need to start looking at long rides as well although bear in mind I don't have a roadie......just a Marin Fairfax so close to a flat bar road bike but with slightly fatter tyres (28s).

Need to get a cycle computer and thinking about clipless although the clipless is more worrying as I dread the first clipless moment in traffic!

I never done anything like this (dun run) so any knowledged shared is appreciated - Tynan, think a thread on this would be cool. Use to do the Woking bikeathon and that was only 27 miles with about 3 break points so really need to gear up for this. Colleague has done the 100km walk thats organised by the Ghurkas so he as ideas about long distance stamina - and was talking about a support vehicle!

I just need to get out and do some distance!

Top Bottom