Increase in close passes? Possible reasons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 26715

I've only had one recently, since you ask what we do to deal with them I usually raise my right arm out to the centre of the road, palm upward... sort of like when you see a painting of Jesus and he's almost going "hey, what gives here?". An indication they need to be further out thataway.
I have to say that I am guilty of making this gesture as well, then always think to myself I'm probably wasting my time, chances are that they don't use their mirrors, clearly some do,

Mike_P

Guru
Possibly the better element of drivers down to the increase in cycling that has occurred and previous non cyclists suddenly becoming aware of the hazards faced. Re my comment on yellow shoes if wearing black shoes I usually wear brightly coloured socks, a yellow pair given away with TdF magazine or Polaris green commuter socks. Walking through town this morning a green whirl clipped the corner of my eye and it was a cyclist wearing green socks.

Slick

Guru
I was cycling home from work the other day and about 150 yards from my front door I was close passed by someone who I think just took a chance and couldn’t wait for a few seconds until the oncoming car passed me. Gave them a very clear signal to “get over” (to my right) :angry:
Gave me a wee scare and made Mr M even more reluctant for me to buy an electric bike to cycle regularly to work once all this is over :sad:
Really sorry to hear that, especially as E-Bikes are amazing but I definitely understand. Hopefully this is just a one off by an idiot as cycling to work should become much more normal when this is all over.

byegad

Legendary Member
Being in the vulnerable group I've not been out since before the plague.
However, my local news feed is showing a lot more single vehicle accidents, and judging by the speed of some vehicles on the 30 limit road we can see from our Cul-de-Sac, there are a lot of people driving very quickly out there at the moment.

Slick

Guru
Being in the vulnerable group I've not been out since before the plague.
However, my local news feed is showing a lot more single vehicle accidents, and judging by the speed of some vehicles on the 30 limit road we can see from our Cul-de-Sac, there are a lot of people driving very quickly out there at the moment.
Seen a bit on the news last night that traffic volumes are way down but accidents remain constant. They also showed one driver bombing down the m6 toll at 140mph just because it was empty. Can't remember the exact figures but speeding has definitely increased.

Shearwater Missile

Über Member
Two close passes this week and both on wide roads, good visibility and straight so really no excuses. I just put it down to bad driving. I have seen less cyclists and walkers this week but a lot more vehicles. As was said earlier, it was good whilst it lasted. People will go back to using their cars and pollution levels will return, I can`t see how they won`t.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
Not just cyclists suffer. I have had several drivers pull out on me in my car while driving to my start point. I have a dayglo jersey with reflective stripes which I sometimes wear for triking which actually says Dawson Energy but is very like some police apparel. One or two have clearly pulled back thinking I may be not all it seems and one reversed in panic and almost pranged a car behind.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
The only really terrible bit of driving I've witnessed lately was a blare of horns yesterday as an ancient Volvo entered a roundabout regardless of the car already coming round it. As I passed I glanced over to see the driver, a 93 year old woman clutching onto the steering wheel (which I think she was actually looking through) for dear life. Apart from that haven't noticed any change really... but I do live in a very grauniad part of London.

D

Deleted member 26715

As I passed I glanced over to see the driver, a 93 year old woman
I have got to ask how you know this?

Now you mention it - I normally see very few, if any, examples of really bad driving that isn't probably caused by momentary bad judgement

However, in the last week there have been 3 instances
a) a car decided that he/she was going to go through a one way traffic calming section first even though I was oncoming and clearly 'taking the lane' to make sure he saw me
b) at some temporary traffic lights I went through as it went green - just after 4 cars - but by the time the traffic lights at the far end went to green I hadn't had time to transit then whole section - in spite of doing a constant 15 mph - or more (yup - ebike). So - naturally - the car at the far end just decide to come out anyway and head directly towards me - no way there was room. In addition the black van behind him moved over to the kerb and blocked any route I might have had to just go inside him.
c) yesterday a metallic bronze Nissan sports car decided the he had right of way at a junction when he could clearly see me - missed me by a foot or so (OK - I could have slowed down when I knew he was an idiot but only did so enough to be sure he would miss me to make a point - I didn;t say I was perfect!)

I have been cycling pretty much every day during lockdown - and cycled most days before that - but these 3 instances are probably the worst in the last year since I started cycling this much

weird

ozboz

Guru
I was going over to see my Son, In the side roads I took a right , well in the left lane , as I turned both side of the road cars were parked a BMW came tearing towards me.......in reverse !! the driver had not picked me up at all as I entered the road , fortunately there was space and just enough time to stop , when he did eventually see I was there the prick didn’t even look like he was going to offer an apology , obviously my fault for being on the road !

Globalti

Legendary Member
I've noticed a big increase in traffic noise in our street the last couple of days. It's been so peaceful.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Punishment passes are done to get a reaction. If I am still upright, I dont react. I do swear under my breath. I dont wave or gesture. But I wont give them their ultimate prize. A reaction.

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I'm not out cycling anywhere near as much as last year, but I have to say, despite seeing an increase in speeding motons, close passes have been few and far between. If anything, passes have been getting better.

Top Bottom