India have landed on the moon's south pole

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
1692818927559.jpeg

1692818937842.jpeg

Last edited:

Jameshow

Veteran

What did they order?
I'll have the chicken tikka masala!!

Drago

Legendary Member
Anyone know what science they plan to do whilst there?

Not a great deal. The mission is mainly a technical demonstration.

OP
OP
T4tomo

T4tomo

Legendary Member
Alas, there is no dark side or the moon. This is why the album has always annoyed me greatly.

Parts of the southern pole end are in permanent shadow, that's why they are looking for ice there to answer @Mings question, does that count as the dark side of the moon? The "side" we cant see is indeed not dark, nor made of cheese one suspects.

Tenkaykev

Guru
Parts of the southern pole end are in permanent shadow, that's why they are looking for ice there to answer @Mings question, does that count as the dark side of the moon? The "side" we cant see is indeed not dark, nor made of cheese one suspects.

The problem being that they haven't landed at or near the South Pole and nowhere close to the craters that are in perpetual darknes where the water ice is expected to be found. From the Ars Technica news story:

India's Vikram lander is now operating on the near side of the Moon at about 69 degrees south latitude, closer to the lunar south pole than any prior mission. All of NASA's Apollo missions, which had astronauts, explored locations closer to the Moon's equator, as have China's robotic landing vehicles. But the Vikram lander didn't land far enough south to explore permanently shadowed craters where vast deposits of water ice may be present.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
But the brilliance of being able to do it at on a comparatively tiny budget compared to others shows the potential of so many new discoveries for the human race generally if we would just stop being d*cks to each other and making it one long 'mine's longer than yours' competition.

Top Bottom