Indicators on bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
T`other day I was following a cyclist, I was in my car.

2 things made this particular cyclist stand out to me. The first was that it looked like he had stolen the mirrors off a scooter motorcycle and attached them to his handlebars. The second was the excellent observation and positioning, but complete lack of signaling.

On closer inspection, those mirrors has flashing yellow lights along the bottom that he was using for indicators. The thing is they were so dull and obscured by his jacket sleeves that they were unnoticeable at best, invisible at worst to anyone that was behind him.

LED and battery tech is always improving, but I think that hand signals are going to rule for some time yet.

shouldbeinbed

Rollin' along
Often discussed and the consensus is that they're not a viable alternative to an outstretched arm.

Those integrated into the mirror ones are called Winku. IIRC.

If it's a regular route and you're likely to see him again, maybe have a quiet word and advise that they don't really do what he thinks they are doing for his safety.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I was thinking about indicators for my trike as motorists do see me as WTF, but they would have to be on a 12 volt system to show up in bright sun light, in the end I didn't bother due to the exter weight.

Drago

Legendary Member
That's the danger of relying on safety equipment to keep you safe instead of applying some effort and intelligence to both kit selection and riding skills.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I've still to master this riding one-handed trick.

sanddancer

I noticed one of the bikes at work has a large rear light mounted to the seat post, it's a good 7" wide by about 3".
It has indicators.
I'll have to ask him if he uses them. Personally I wouldn't,

interesting point of not signalling left, I imagine there are some that use that to moan about cyclists. My lambrettas dont have indicators so turning right going up hill can be a pain :biggrin:

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
First - begin by using two hands on the bars :laugh:
Then very slowly lift one hand off the bars and extend your index finger fully. Lift your extended index finger towards the tip of your nose and insert it as fully as possible into eiter nostril. Twist fully and rapidly clockwise then anticlockwise. If you manage to stay on your bike, you've mastered riding one handed. If you fall off, get back on and try again.

Top Bottom