Indoor Cycle Trainer

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
With all this lovely (Crap) weather we have been thinking about a trainer to put in our garage. Any ideas or thoughts would be appreciated. We both have 700C wheels and road tyres and disc brakes and our other bikes are Raleigh's with 700 wheels and Canti brakes. Thanks.

Legs

usually riding on Zwift...
What’s your budget? If it stretches far enough, I would strongly advise getting a smart trainer.

https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/virtual-training-bkool-zwift-wahoo-tacx-etc.140/

newts

Veteran
You should be able to get a secondhand Tacx Flow for under £100. A smart trainer that you can use with the MyWhoosh app (currently free) or Zwift with a subscription.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I was given a dumb mag trainer, yours if you want it if you can collect from south of derby

EDIT
your 70 miles away if your location in your profile is correct so maybe a bit far , offer still stands for anyone who wants it

Big John

Guru
Never had a smart trainer but have used rollers/ bog standard turbo trainer for years until I retired and thank the lord I rarely use either now I can pick and choose the good days to ride the bike. If you're going to train indoors (I'm not knocking it. It was useful when I was working) then you could do with the crappiest bike you can piece together, or that's what I did. It doesn't need brakes or anything fancy. You sweat like a glassblowers armpit, even in a freezing garage, so your frame takes a battering from the salt in the sweat despite cleaning the bike down afterwards. Smart trainers, I'm told, are a game changer but may be out of budget. If you go for rollers/turbo then to relieve the absolute boredom you can find umpteen turbo sessions on YouTube so a laptop would come in handy and a Bluetooth speaker. I've always had to work to a budget and that comes at a cost....boredom. I've never found a static bike stimulating but we're all different. It's better than not training.

Bristolian

I have been using a dumb trainer (whenever the weather is too wet/cold to go out) since the beginning of the year and have found it very useful in improving my endurance and leg strength. Having a bike fitted with cadence and speed sensors, plus wearing a heart rate monitor, has meant I can monitor my performance and progress. Most of the time I have used GCN Training videos on YouTube but recently I decided to try Zwift and that can get addictive - so much so that I am in the market for a used direct drive smart trainer.

If you go for a wheel on trainer then I concur with cyberknight about using a proper trainer tyre.

D_97_goodtimes

TACX smart trainer works for me.

Blue tooth connection to the wifi which talks to your phone/tablet/laptop.

The Garmin app allows you do some simple FTP test or slope rides for free.

The subscription allows you to follow a series of routes - I am part way through the tour of Majorca. Much of Holland and Portugal already done.

Agree with earlier comment wrt to sweating buckets. I find an hour is enough before boredom kicks in so press pause and pick up where I left off another day.

Calibration seems to be a common problem - probably due to tyre inflation and temperature changes.

Ebay seem to have a number on offer

See more Tacx Flow T2240 Indoor Home Cycling Bluetooth ...

Top Bottom