Indoor cycling guilt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maherees

Über Member
A couple of months ago I bought a smart bike (Stages SB20) and progressed my pain cave ready for the winter and have a pretty decent set up (large TV, gaming PC and fan) but it's still summer and I'm preferring to ride indoors rather than jump on one of my outdoor bikes, no cars or weather to bother me. I can also be on the bike in minutes.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Drago

Legendary Member
If it suits you then why be guilty?

Just be aware your roadcraft, control skills and racecraft (if you compete) will degrade, but if you're not planning on venturing out again then it doesn't really matter.

I prefer the rain, the potholes, the idiot drivers, because exercising those skills is valuable, but it's not for everyone. Do what you want and don't give a stuff what anyone else think.

PS, you're localish to me.

Last edited:

Venod

Eh up
A couple of months ago I bought a smart bike (Stages SB20) and progressed my pain cave ready for the winter and have a pretty decent set up (large TV, gaming PC and fan) but it's still summer and I'm preferring to ride indoors rather than jump on one of my outdoor bikes, no cars or weather to bother me. I can also be on the bike in minutes.

I too have a Stages SB20, while not preferring it to outdoors, I find I don't need much of an excuse to ride indoors, a hint of rain or strong winds will have me in the garage, its been raining all day here in West Yorkshire, I have done 40 mile in the garage.

Depending where I am in the country I prefer riding on rlv, more choice of routes, better structure to training, no rain, no wind, no potholes, no idiot drivers. Zwift I find to be just as sociable but prefer tacx or Fulgaz for the opportunity to ride and train on decent climbs.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Provided we do no harm to others no one should feel guilty about how they chose to lead their lives.

Indoor cycling is not for me. I have nowhere to set up so it is a non-starter anyway. Four years ago, when I was recovering from a brain haemorrhage, a friend lent me her turbo. It was a Godsend allowing me to gently exercise at a time I wasn't allowed out, literally, on my own. I also know, fit and well as I am now, I would find it mind numbingly boring.

Part of the joy and health benefits for me is to be outside. Today I dressed appropriately and walked 4 miles in pouring rain. Exercise aside I feel the benefit to my mental well-being of being outside is incalculable. Sitting in a garage staring at a screen gives none of that.

There is a danger it becomes both addictive and too comfortable. I have fellow club members who only ride outside when it's dry and +16⁰C, one guy never goes out.

We all do as we wish. Don't feel guilty but be aware it's an easy option that could deprive you of the huge benefits of being out in the fresh air.

Last edited:

Joffey

Big Dosser
Any of you Cat D on Zwift and fancy doing the Zwift Racing League series? We are doing it for fun rather than taking the racing part that seriously. It’s a great way to get fit.

Jameshow

Veteran
I too have a Stages SB20, while not preferring it to outdoors, I find I don't need much of an excuse to ride indoors, a hint of rain or strong winds will have me in the garage, its been raining all day here in West Yorkshire, I have done 40 mile in the garage.

That's alot of Laps of the garage!🤣🤣🤣

I couldn't cope with boredom but I hear smart trainers are much better.

But how do you get to where the cakes are ??

Venod

Eh up
I couldn't cope with boredom but I hear smart trainers are much better.
I couldn't do more than 30 minutes on a dumb trainer, but a computer a suitable platform, a big screen and Spotify makes things easier,
I did this mornings ride on Zwift, but have used Tacx (Garmin) Kinomap and Rouvy.

gzoom

Über Member
Love indoor cycling, biggest difficulty is finding time to do long sessions. Having to essentially start after all family stuff is done means finishing the ride literally the next day.

53089812968_f9b853823a_c_d.jpg

Scotchlovingcylist

Formerly known as Speedfreak
Recently got a smart trainer myself and enjoying it, no guilt required imo

More flexibility to get rides in before and after work or with the current crap weather and all contributes to when you do get the opportunity to get out, if you so wish.

Especially if you've got a decent set up, music, TV etc definitely makes it more enjoyable.
Any exercise is good 👍

Top Bottom