Indoor cycling guilt

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I suppose if you indoor cycle, your bike won't look like below. You'll miss out on the 8 hours getting it looking like that.

20230729_215049.jpg

Peter Salt

Bittersweet
Possibly first time ever I heard anyone say they feel guilty about exercise - getting healthier physically and mentally. Don't be silly.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I’ve got a Wattbike Atom in my home gym and if it eases your guilt I’m neither cycling outdoors nor indoors. I’ve got a heavy cold and no guilt about not exercising.

nicocyclo

Regular
I started indoor cycling like 3 months ago, and got totally stuck in it. And since I have no friends to ride with, I prefer the apps. Now I am using ROUVY, because of the real fotage. I am marking on a blind map places I have been. Now riding east-coast Asia. Still plenty routes to ride :biggrin: simply lovin' it <3

Alex321

Veteran
Certainly no need to feel guilty about doing indoor cycling, whether it means you do less outdoors or not.

Personally, I find indoor cycling harder, you don't get the chance to freewheel occasionally, and (in my case at least), I always feel pressure to be keeping up the power level.

I also have a major issue at this time of year in that I'm too warm. Even in my garage with temperatures outside sub-zero, I was sweating too much last winter. But then I will be riding outside in temperatures down to about 10-11C with just shorts and a short-sleeved jersey, not through being macho, but because that is what I feel comfortable with.

But that is very much a personal thing, and if I didn't have the comfort issues, I wouldn't feel the slightest bit guilty about jumping on the turbo rather than going outside if the weather was poor.

Windle

Über Member
I do a combination of both indoor and outdoor, with most of my rides being indoor, but I don't do very long rides anymore so a twenty minute turbo session is OK for me. Most of my outdoor rides are just round my local loop anyway (mostly fairly 'lightweight' off-road) and that's only about six miles ~ I could probably do it on a road bike if I was careful! I enjoy being outside of course, but even after a turbo session I feel better ~ it's the exercise obviously ^_^. I'm curious about smart trainers, especially being able to ride 'real roads' elsewhere via the TV, but I'm not sure it's worth the investment for me.
As people have said before, at least you're exercising and making an effort, which is more than most folk do! No need for guilt at all ~ and the more you do indoors, the more you'll enjoy it when you get outside for a decent ride :bicycle:.

After Commuting by bike to work for 20yrs I finally had enough at the beginning of winter. Bought a Zwift hub trainer and am slightly addicted to it. Have not ridden outside for over 7 months. I get quite immersed in it but need a "point to doing it" cant just spin away with no clear plan on what to do. So I just do zwift training plan after training plan. FTP stays the same but at 61 just thankful its not going down. Dont race on Zwift as I am at the bottom of Cat C and even a C group ride is like a full on race for me.
Once I retire from work next year I may go back to being on the roads but I dont miss the "aggro" from other road users.

presta

Guru
I've never felt the urge to try a trainer, the monotony seems a surefire way to turn exercise into a chore. I did used to swim, which is about as close as I've got to indoor exercise, and it does get a bit repetitive.

I have fellow club members who only ride outside when it's dry and +16⁰C
Touring would cure them of that, you take the weather you're given, and it's the wild weather that makes the memories.

OP
OP
Maherees

Maherees

Über Member
Thanks all. Meant as a bit of fun really.
After posting this I serviced my MTB and did a local loop. I've accumulated 5 bikes in the last couple of years but since one of our cycling group was clipped by a car and getting his shoulder broken i've been less enthusiastic in going out amongst traffic, instead staying indoors on the zwift/smart bike.

Venod

Eh up
If anybody feels the urge to try a smart trainer, I have a Tacx Neo for sale, new bearings in free hub and new outer bearing in main hub.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Thanks all. Meant as a bit of fun really.
After posting this I serviced my MTB and did a local loop. I've accumulated 5 bikes in the last couple of years but since one of our cycling group was clipped by a car and getting his shoulder broken i've been less enthusiastic in going out amongst traffic, instead staying indoors on the zwift/smart bike.

You need to join us professionals ! Four of us out at weekend for 16 hours of off road. Combined age of well above two hundred.

Only one hadn't had any significant injuries. Between the other three, broken spine, broken neck, broken pelvis, broken sternum, broken hand or two, multiple broken ribs (four at once for two of us), punctured lung, smashed shoulders. All done on the bike ! We're still all riding outdoors !

Last edited:

Alex321

Veteran
You need to join us professionals ! Four of us out at weekend for 16 hours of off road. Combined age of well above two hundred.

Only one hadn't had any significant injuries. Between the other three, broken spine, broken neck, broken pelvis, broken sternum, broken hand or two, multiple broken ribs (four at once for two of us), punctured lung, smashed shoulders. All done on the bike ! We're still all riding outdoors !

I'm not sure that is the ideal way to encourage people to get outside on their bikes :laugh:

Top Bottom