indoor cycling , which app

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Firestorm

Veteran
Being a wimp , if the weather is crap I don't go out on the bike. Until I can find somewhere to set up a turbo , get one and the spare wheel etc set up, I intend to go down the gym and use a spin bike for a couple of hours.
I am ok with just music for about 45 minutes but I fancy doing intervals , and varying the sessions. So I though I would see if there is an app out there...
Does anyone use just an app and which ones are best. One which hooks ip to a zephyr HRM would be even better

Or should I mtfu or cough up for an ant+ Turbo and go the whole hog..

Being a wimp , if the weather is crap I don't go out on the bike. Until I can find somewhere to set up a turbo , get one and the spare wheel etc set up, I intend to go down the gym and use a spin bike for a couple of hours.
I am ok with just music for about 45 minutes but I fancy doing intervals , and varying the sessions. So I though I would see if there is an app out there...
Does anyone use just an app and which ones are best. One which hooks ip to a zephyr HRM would be even better

Or should I mtfu or cough up for an ant+ Turbo and go the whole hog..
If you use Bkool / zwift, you can upload your ride to Strava, then change the 'virtual ride' to 'actual ride', and claim loads and loads of KOMs, and wind up the nobbers. It's a win win.

OP
OP
Firestorm

Firestorm

Veteran
If you use Bkool / zwift, you can upload your ride to Strava, then change the 'virtual ride' to 'actual ride', and claim loads and loads of KOMs, and wind up the nobbers. It's a win win.
That sound a fair idea, but Idoesnt that have to connect to the bike / Trainer in some way. Unless I invest its going to be the non smart gym spinning bike for a while.

kiriyama

It's not training unless your suffering. Bad weather is free extra suffering. Also the rain hides your tears! Win win!

Jimidh

Veteran
If you are using the gym bikes why don't use use your HR monitor and use it to do Intervals based on HR zones?

Or you could stream some Sufferfest vids - I've done these on spin bikes before and had a good work out.

OP
OP
Firestorm

Firestorm

Veteran
If you are using the gym bikes why don't use use your HR monitor and use it to do Intervals based on HR zones?

Or you could stream some Sufferfest vids - I've done these on spin bikes before and had a good work out.
Thanks , thats what I picked, for the near future at least.
The hrm is a zephyr, so it requires a tablet or phone to display , the best apps are android, and the ones for my phone will not overide the powersave, so after 5 minutes the screen goes off...so I am off to the gym with a tablet and an I pad !!

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
Not high tech I know, but I downloaded this excellent video, connected my laptop to some Sonos speakers and work out on my standard fluid turbo trainer. There are other videos in this series of varying durations, but 45 mins on the trainer is enough for me.

To track the session I use some speed and cadence sensors with my Garmin Edge 1000 and have the GPS turned off. Tracking speed/distance on a trainer does not provide absolute metrics that you can compare with other people, but with a fluid trainer that has a defind power curve it does provide good relative metrics that you can use to track your own progress.

I also have a HR sensor with my Garmin, but choose not to use it because I feel uncomfortable with the sensor being so close to my pacemaker (note: it's not just old unfit people who need pacemakers).

OP
OP
Firestorm

Firestorm

Veteran
Thats one of the videos I have picked out to use in the gym.
not sure whether to do it in silence or with music, which will mean raking the phone, as well as the ipad and tablet.
However, as it looks ok out there i will be out on the bike today, unless it changes somewhat in the next hour...

Top Bottom