Indoor training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the equipment

Not at all. It's worth mentioning I already had a big TV + Apple TV device in my front room to run Zwift on. I also had a fan. Definitely factor in a fan. I can't believe how sweaty it can get without a regular flow of air, even with my heating turned off.

My trainer is a Kickr Core. I got it brand new with a free cassette from Cycle Works Pembrokeshire's website. This was £697.00
I also bought a cheap, second-hand road bike to use exclusively with the trainer (or for popping to the shops). That was a Merida Ride Lite 90 for £280.00. I added about £50's worth of additions to adjust the fit more to my liking, and for a phone holder to run the Zwift companion app on my phone while I'm riding. It's worth noting that there are a lot of used smart-trainers out there, so if you wanted to save some money and use an existing bike, you could probably be up and running for under £400.00

Also factor in the £12.99 per month Zwift subscription, and that was about it.

I didn't bother with a fancy mat or table that some people use. I just use towels and an existing box to hold any water/controllers etc..

I wasn't sure I wanted to spend this much at the outset, but having tried a friend's 'dumb' on-tyre trainer, I'm so glad I went for the smart trainer route. Having a quiet setup that provides cadence, speed, and power metrics is just fantastic, and really makes the Zwift rides more purposeful.

Hope that helps.

sasquath

@markstev27
If on a budget you can get thinkrider X5 for £400(£450 with 11sp cassette mat and cadence sensor) from https://www.thinkriderfitness.co.uk/product/thinkrider-x5-neo-smart-turbo-trainer-1
I use it for about 2 weeks and can't fault it, erg mode works well enough. Only downside is non foldable form factor, to hide it away you have to unscrew front legs, you get what you pay for.

Apple TV is about £60-80 on eBay 4th gen 1080p or 1st gen 4k will work.

Top Bottom