Indoor training

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

markstev27

Hi all
I'm recovering from a cycling accident 2 weeks ago and I'm already missing going out on the bike.

I'm not sure how to keep training or the best methods whilst recovering. I have an exercise bike but also looking at a turbo trainer.

Any advice?

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A lot depends on whether you're happy just you and the turbo trainer or want to interact using a 'smart' turbo set-up; i.e. Zwift/RGT/Rouvy.

A 'dumb' basic turbo trainer isn't expensive, with many having available second-hand, or the alternative of using rollers. They're OK, and you just put the back wheel into the turbo with the wheel running on the turbo roller, but that's all it'll do.

The alternative of a smart turbo gives you data plus the opportunity to ride 'virtually' - have a look here: https://www.cyclechat.net/forums/virtual-training-bkool-zwift-cycleops-others.140/

sasquath

Dummy turbo trainer or rollers paired with BLE or ANT+ speed sensor mounted on rear wheel also allows to ride virtually, at least in zwift, didn't try other apps. Downside is your power data being guesstimated.

You can also use non smart turbo trainer and crank power meter...

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi all
I'm recovering from a cycling accident 2 weeks ago and I'm already missing going out on the bike.

I'm not sure how to keep training or the best methods whilst recovering. I have an exercise bike but also looking at a turbo trainer.

Any advice?
What did you damage or injure? Surely it’ll depend…?

vickster

Legendary Member
I broke my hand so looking at training once it has healed
Is it in a cast? Presumably you’ll have physio after it’s healed, so they should be best placed to advise. Can’t see why you couldn’t use a turbo one handed?
Nothing to stop you keeping fit walking too if just the hand :okay:

OP
OP
M

markstev27

Is it in a cast? Presumably you’ll ha e physio after it’s healed, so they should be best placed to advise. Can’t see why you couldn’t use a turbo one handed?
It's in a splint for 3 weeks now. Just have to keep it straight and not move it. Keep seeing the bike and wishing I was on it

vickster

Legendary Member
It's in a splint for 3 weeks now. Just have to keep it straight and not move it. Keep seeing the bike and wishing I was on it
Yep it’s tough, I had 6 months off…

CXRAndy

Guru
I had an accident 6 years ago. After spending 16 weeks on crutches, I got a turbo, set it up on Bkool, migrated to Zwift. It was probably the best rehabilitation I had. I've used TrainerRoad with decent results (for me)

I say get a turbo, setup a pain cave and enjoy the winter training

I'm a newcomer to indoor training (Smart Trainer + Zwift) and have to say it's been the best decision I could have made. It lowers the resistance to getting on the bike (due to weather/injury/other reason) to almost zero (for me). I've found it quite addictive and very effective, especially as I can train with power, which I can't do outside due to not having a power meter on my bike. Well worth considering, I'd say, given how much use it would/could get during the crappy weather over the winter months.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

markstev27

I'm a newcomer to indoor training (Smart Trainer + Zwift) and have to say it's been the best decision I could have made. It lowers the resistance to getting outside (due to weather/injury/other reason) to almost zero (for me). I've found it quite addictive and very effective, especially as I can train with power, which I can't do outside due to not having a power meter on my bike. Well worth considering, I'd say, given how much use it would/could get during the crappy weather over the winter months.
Do you mind me asking how much you paid for the equipment

Top Bottom