Inflatable beds/water beds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
My single mattress is wearing a bit thin. It was given to me 3 years ago by a friend who'd had it in her spare bedroom since the late 1970's without ever being used..so she told me. I'm thinking about buying a decent airbed instead of a conventional mattress. I'd like a water bed,but imagine if it leaked and the water went into the flat below! :whistle: I've spotted this for sale. https://activeera.com/products/air-...q7iPLvmAM3NR3rQo5ZVNs12AEk6S6q1BoCZ0AQAvD_BwE It has a built in pump that takes 2 minutes to inflate the thing,so no half an hour of foot pumping to inflate it. What do you reckon about airbeds? 🤔

classic33

Leg End Member
Best kept for camping, or emergency use.

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
Never had much luck with them myself, they always end up flat in the morning and i end up with a terrible backache!

Dave7

Legendary Member
My single mattress is wearing a bit thin. It was given to me 3 years ago by a friend who'd had it in her spare bedroom since the late 1970's without ever being used..so she told me. I'm thinking about buying a decent airbed instead of a conventional mattress. I'd like a water bed,but imagine if it leaked and the water went into the flat below! :whistle: I've spotted this for sale. https://activeera.com/products/air-...q7iPLvmAM3NR3rQo5ZVNs12AEk6S6q1BoCZ0AQAvD_BwE It has a built in pump that takes 2 minutes to inflate the thing,so no half an hour of foot pumping to inflate it. What do you reckon about airbeds? 🤔
And if you believe that .......

Drago

Legendary Member
I have a water bed.

Leaks are rare (ive never had one) and the design is such that the bladder sits withing the bed base, which is itself waterproof, so it is self contained - any leaks stay in the bed and don't flood the place.

They weigh a bit, about 3/4 tonne for my king size, but its spread out and the actual weight borne by each cm2 of floor is very low, so despite urban myth there is no likelihood of it dropping through the floor.

Comfortable beyond compare. Every night feels like getting into a new bed. Theye heated, very low wattage, pennies to run, so in the winter theyre deliciously warm but switch the heater off in the summer and theyre lovely and cool. Best nights sleep youll ever have.

And theyre inexpensive. Maybe half the price pf a moderate quality regular bed, and whereas the mattress will be fot for the bin in 5-7 years the wsterbed is good for a quarter centurey or more.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
We have an air bed similar to that in the link and use it as a spare if all the beds are occupied. I tried it one night to see what it was like. At best it was OK for a night or two, but long term, no.
If you want "give" like a normal mattress you are compromised near the edges as they collapse with weight. - Not ideal if you roll over near an edge. When camping you are unlikely to have half a metre to fall.
If you don't want the edge to collapse, the mattress has to be hard and thus has little or no "give". So for example, if you lie on your side, your shoulders and side will be higher than on a normal mattress. This has consequences for your neck, so you will need a hard pillow to support your head. But the gap is different if you roll over on to your back. - You will note that the photos show only the woman lying on her side and not the angle her neck would be on her back.
May be I am cynical, but looking at the illustration of Shaggy from Scooby Doo sitting on the edge would bother me. If the illustration is true, the bed must also have no "give" in the middle, which brings me back to my earlier comments.

I have a water bed.

Leaks are rare (ive never had one) and the design is such that the bladder sits withing the bed base, which is itself waterproof, so it is self contained - any leaks stay in the bed and don't flood the place.

They weigh a bit, about 3/4 tonne for my king size, but its spread out and the actual weight borne by each cm2 of floor is very low, so despite urban myth there is no likelihood of it dropping through the floor.

Comfortable beyond compare. Every night feels like getting into a new bed. Theye heated, very low wattage, pennies to run, so in the winter theyre deliciously warm but switch the heater off in the summer and theyre lovely and cool. Best nights sleep youll ever have.

And theyre inexpensive. Maybe half the price pf a moderate quality regular bed, and whereas the mattress will be fot for the bin in 5-7 years the wsterbed is good for a quarter centurey or more.
interesting.
brits being brits they once used to be thought very sexy for some mysterious reason - I seem to remember a steptoe and son episode where the younger steptoe had great hopes for one.

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D sleeps badly because of her MS, so anything that gets her as comf as possible to try and promote sleep is worth it.

Erm, in reality no sexier than a regular bed, and bedtime gymnastics are as one would expectmon a regular mattrss!

Top Bottom