Inflatable beds/water beds

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

scoobs

Regular
My single mattress is wearing a bit thin. It was given to me 3 years ago by a friend who'd had it in her spare bedroom since the late 1970's without ever being used..so she told me. I'm thinking about buying a decent airbed instead of a conventional mattress. I'd like a water bed,but imagine if it leaked and the water went into the flat below! :whistle: I've spotted this for sale. https://activeera.com/products/air-...q7iPLvmAM3NR3rQo5ZVNs12AEk6S6q1BoCZ0AQAvD_BwE It has a built in pump that takes 2 minutes to inflate the thing,so no half an hour of foot pumping to inflate it. What do you reckon about airbeds? 🤔
I can review this bed from experience.
Myself and SWMBO moved house in February. The move entailed our house being emptied into storage for two nights and due to lock down unavailability of a hotel room we were obliged to sleep in the new house (unheated) for those two nights. We bought two of these very beds. Inflated them and left them in a spare room (heated) prior to moving to check for deflation issues. No issues at all. Slept on them for the two nights without any noticeable deflation issues. We had two very comfortable nights sleep. They now live in a cupboard as spare beds if needed.
Would I want to sleep on one permanently? I’m not sure but as an ‘air’ bed goes it is pretty bloody good. An earlier poster suggested soggy when sitting on the edge. That isn’t the case here and it does inflate in the advertised time. The plastic will stretch on first inflate and needs topping up as per the instructions that come with the bed. I read loads of reviews before purchase. I’m not disappointed. If you lived close you’d be welcome to borrow for a short ‘test ride’.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
They weigh a bit, about 3/4 tonne for my king size, but its spread out and the actual weight borne by each cm2 of floor is very low, so despite urban myth there is no likelihood of it dropping through the floor.

I get the stiletto heel pressure principle, but I wouldn't want to put three quarters of a ton in an upstairs room of a Wimpey house, no matter how well it was spread.

Last edited:

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I spotted some last Saturday. I wonder if the 65 quid includes delivery?🤔

View attachment 588362
View attachment 588364
Whether its £65 special or something less or more expensive, before parting with cash, you need also to ask if delivery means to the door or to the room. You may be fortunate with the layout of your home, but if you are not, getting a mattress up a set of stairs or around corners, on your can be hard work if it's delivery to the door.
You will also need to give consideration to getting your old one out and how to get it to the waste disposal site.

Drago

Legendary Member
I get the stiletto heel pressure principle, but I wouldn't want to put three quarters of a ton in an upstairs room of a Wimpey house, no matter how well it was spread.
I weigh close on an 8th of a tonne. My step brother is a similar weight. 2 burly adult males weight as much as a waterbed, and while I'm sure Wimpey homes have the structural integrity of a damp Trabant, most seem able to survive have 2 big fellers in the same first floor room.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You will also need to give consideration to getting your old one out and how to get it to the waste disposal site.
I'd like the deliverer of a new mattress take the old one away there and then. There's something about mattresses propped up against walls,waiting to be taken away that says 'scruffy git',even if the one who's put it there has done everything correctly like contacting the council asap,asking them to take it away. I don't want passers by gawping at my 'retro' 1970's mattress!:unsure:

I'd like the deliverer of a new mattress take the old one away there and then. There's something about mattresses propped up against walls,waiting to be taken away that says 'scruffy git',even if the one who's put it there has done everything correctly like contacting the council asap,asking them to take it away. I don't want passers by gawping at my 'retro' 1970's mattress!:unsure:
Not expecting much for £65 then?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
In my experience, it ain't going to happen. It costs money for traders to take waste to disposal sites. If a trader makes a decent profit on a £65 mattress, includes delivery and incurs costs on taking away and responsibly disposing your old one, they have bought it for buttons. Which might raise questions about how good the replacement actually is.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
In my experience, it ain't going to happen. It costs money for traders to take waste to disposal sites. If a trader makes a decent profit on a £65 mattress, includes delivery and incurs costs on taking away and responsibly disposing your old one, they have bought it for buttons. Which might raise questions about how good the replacement actually is.
I bought a new mattress a couple of weeks ago, well actually I bought it a few months ago, but it only got delivered a few weeks ago after being lovingly crafted on the thighs of virgins, or something like that.

The £65 fee quoted was just to take away the old mattress. I have bought cheap mattresses in the past, never again for something you spend so much of your life on it really is worth getting good quality.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
That's what I was going to say. Any company agreeing to remove the old mattress as part of the deal to supply a £65 new one are only going to dispose of the old one illegally.
I wonder if councils actually make enough from waste disposal charges to cover the costs involved in clearing fly tipping?

I think they should make waste disposal free and impose even bigger fines on convicted fly tippers.

Top Bottom