inflatable Kayak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace
There were some fantastic ones in Decathlon in Sheffield last year... hopefully still available.

numbnuts

Legendary Member
I get asked about them a lot on my kayaking forum, if you are going to use them on the sea forget it, if you don't believe me ask the RNLI, they could do with a good laugh. :laugh:
On rivers they are OK, but open water wind is there biggest problem so keep them off large lakes too.......but I've seen them on you-tube......and on the sea ….....yeah right as all ready stated ask the RNLI, there the one who have to risk their lives to pick you up alive or dead.
But I've got no where to keep a ridged one, rent a garage like I do.

Landsurfer

Veteran
I spend a lot of my time in the sea on my 16 ft Wilderness Systems kayak ... and have had to rescue / assist / tow, 2 inflatable kayaks from around St. Michaels Mount in the last 2 years ... they seem ideal for slow river trips but not ever for the sea ...

cheys03

Veteran
I get asked about them a lot on my kayaking forum, if you are going to use them on the sea forget it.
I don’t agree, having owned a Sevylor Corrado/Scirocco (2 person) and Sevylor River XK1 (1 person). Both are sit-on-top style inflatable kayaks which help the novice escape if needed (roll it and you just fall out).
I’ve taken both craft on rivers, lakes, estuaries, in the sea (fairly close to the shore admittedly) and even the Menai Straits. No trouble. The hardest bit of the sea I find was when launching from the beach - time the waves or get wet, you’ll learn quickly. Once out past where the waves break it’s much easier. As with anything, plan, prepare, know the tides, wind direction and your limits. Let people know where you’re going and what time you’ll return.

Sevylor get my vote and the Decathlon models get good reviews. Budget for a set of paddles and buoyancy aid too of course.

OP
OP
clid61

clid61

Veteran
Was thinking about dicking about on canals near me ( Huddersfiled canal ) just wan an inflatable light weight cheap one to see how i fare

Dave7

Legendary Member
@clid61 having enjoyed a sit on for some years and tried a standard 'sit in' I would say just err on the safe side.
Even on my sit on I got washed off a few times close to the beach. Once past those waves it is more stable.
A lot depends on where you want to use it and how confident you are.
The sea can be a very dangerous place.

Dave7

Legendary Member
Was thinking about dicking about on canals near me ( Huddersfiled canal ) just wan an inflatable light weight cheap one to see how i fare
Saw this after my other post.
My opinion is..... perfectly safe on canals.
Enjoy it.

cheys03

Veteran
Sounds like a great intro. If you’re not already aware, officially you’ll need a Canal and Rivers Trust permit (~£45/yr) or I think British Canoeing membership includes it as part of the price.

carvelos

We've had sevylor models for years, get one with a directional fin or skeg on the underside, the skeg does help with straight lines. Paddling technique needs practice as they do skid on the water being so light. but still prepare to be blown about in stronger winds

We did the Wye and noticed all the people fighting to load their canadian canoes on minibuses as we rolled ours up and got a taxi back.
Canals are fab but sometimes getting in and out is a pain in the arse, not many shallow bits to make access easy

rualexander

Legendary Member
I've got a Gumotex Helios 2 which I bought in NZ 20 years ago, although it hasn't been used for about 8 years, it's still going strong, I think.
Did some great trips with it in NZ and in Scotland.
Hollyford River in NZ from road end out to the river mouth, then hiked back with it on my back.
Also, two week walk/paddle across Scotland from Morar to Perth via various lochs and rivers, walking in between.
Nowadays, I think I'd be getting a packraft for that sort of stuff though.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/rualexander/3852TU

View: https://vimeo.com/61301376

View: https://vimeo.com/62467580

Top Bottom