inflatable Kayak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It looks great, but despite being quite a strong swimmer I would be nervous at the possibility of falling off into the middle of a very cold loch! :eek:

rualexander

Legendary Member
It looks great, but despite being quite a strong swimmer I would be nervous at the possibility of falling off into the middle of a very cold loch! :eek:
It's far more stable than a normal plastic or fibreglass kayak, you are effectively sitting below the waterlevel and pretty much impossible to capsize with the large air tubes on either side. Only chance of swimming would be a major air leak in a side tube.

Been looking at getting an Intex Challenger K1 but stocks in the UK must be low as the price has shot up to £240 or so on ebay.

That has made me question whether an inflatable is worth it or would meet my requirements so looking a bit more upmarket and avoiding the entry level phase which would need new paddles etc anyway.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
Personally for me, I would only look at inflatable if storage or transport was an issue. @clid61 just checking it is a kayak rather than a canoe you are interested in? Like a lot of things during COVID the prices have shot up and availability is an issue. I ordered 10 kayaks for my Sea Scouts group back in September, luckily the model we need is coming into stock in April, if it were the other model we use it would be 2022!

Drago

Legendary Member
I don’t agree, having owned a Sevylor Corrado/Scirocco (2 person) and Sevylor River XK1 (1 person). Both are sit-on-top style inflatable kayaks which help the novice escape if needed (roll it and you just fall out).
I’ve taken both craft on rivers, lakes, estuaries, in the sea (fairly close to the shore admittedly) and even the Menai Straits. No trouble. The hardest bit of the sea I find was when launching from the beach - time the waves or get wet, you’ll learn quickly. Once out past where the waves break it’s much easier. As with anything, plan, prepare, know the tides, wind direction and your limits. Let people know where you’re going and what time you’ll return.

Sevylor get my vote and the Decathlon models get good reviews. Budget for a set of paddles and buoyancy aid too of course.
I have very limited shoulder mobility on one side so use a regular Riber sit on top - no worries about being able to right or extact myself if it got inverted. Unless folk are dragging their gear in their panniers I can't see why anyone would use an inflatable one, particularly as a decent inflateable costs much the same anyway.

A mate cracked his fibre glass kayak along the upper/lower join doing a beach landing when waves forced the boat down. How would inflatables cope with that kind of abuse? Not well I fear.
I like the concept for flat water, esp if they have room for a small folding bike on board.

mikeIow

Guru
I don’t agree, having owned a Sevylor Corrado/Scirocco (2 person) and Sevylor River XK1 (1 person). Both are sit-on-top style inflatable kayaks which help the novice escape if needed (roll it and you just fall out).
I’ve taken both craft on rivers, lakes, estuaries, in the sea (fairly close to the shore admittedly) and even the Menai Straits. No trouble. The hardest bit of the sea I find was when launching from the beach - time the waves or get wet, you’ll learn quickly. Once out past where the waves break it’s much easier. As with anything, plan, prepare, know the tides, wind direction and your limits. Let people know where you’re going and what time you’ll return.

Sevylor get my vote and the Decathlon models get good reviews. Budget for a set of paddles and buoyancy aid too of course.
This is encouraging.....I picked up a Sevylor Corrado from Costco over 15months ago - a bargain £220 - intending to have a play on rivers last summer....well, COVID meant it has sat in the box since arriving :sad:
Haven‘t used one for decades, but it did sound a decent unit from reviews I read....so *hopefully* will get a chance to try it next summer sometime!
Hints and tips all gratefully received - I was planning on the British Canoeing membership thing, and also bought some buoyancy aids. The River Soar and Rutland Water are easy for us to get to, but might also take to the IOW and try around a creek or two....maybe the sea if VERY calm!

cheys03

Veteran
Nice! Shame about the boat sitting it’s box but gives you time make plans (dreams!). We took our Corrado on The Barrow Loop, https://britishcanoeing.org.uk/uploads/documents/River-Soar-Barrow-Loop.pdf and I took the 1-person XK1 in a similar loop around Loughborough - head down the Soar around Loughborough and join the canal to get back to the start. Bit of fetch and carry around a weir and the locks but a long length of paracord tied to the front (painter) helps you to keep hold of the boat while getting in/out. Enjoy!

cheys03

Veteran
A mate cracked his fibre glass kayak along the upper/lower join doing a beach landing when waves forced the boat down. How would inflatables cope with that kind of abuse? Not well I fear.
I like the concept for flat water, esp if they have room for a small folding bike on board.
Sounds that your friend had some bad luck there. Inflatables are pretty tough and clearly very buoyant so tough to force down. We’ve ‘surfed’ ours in the waves on a beach, just hop out before it gets too shallow and the underside starts scraping in the sand!
Had a Brompton in the back as well on calm trips - great combo. Get paddles that can be disassembled too though... otherwise riding becomes a bit like jousting

chriswoody

Legendary Member
We bought a paddle board and 3 man kayak from Decathlon last year. As with all their stuff it's incredibly well made for the money. The inflatable bladders are easily removable, so can be repaired or replaced if need be.

The freeboard is quite high, so very susceptible to winds. The gunwales are also quite wide making it difficult to get a nice efficient paddle stroke because you have to stretch to reach over them.

We bought them because we have no room for non inflatable boats and also transport is much easier. However, the kayak is quite heavy and the rucksack Decathlon supply for the kayak has awful straps which dig in to your shoulders. The much lighter paddle board has a really nice rucksack, making it much easier to carry.

For all that though we only purchased them for gentle trips on the near by river and lakes and for that it is perfect. We've left the middle seat out of the kayak and the dog sits there quite happily while we're paddling. Overall for gentle trips on slow moving or static water when the wind is low, these boats are great value for money.

IMG_20200601_134227681.jpg

IMG_20200601_120709585.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom