inflatable Kayak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nigeyy

Legendary Member
Well, having owned inflatable kayaks.... I can't remember the brand, but it was a pretty good one. However, tracking is always more difficult than even some cheaper plastic kayaks, certainly in windy conditions. After about a year (just past warranty!) it sprung a leak, and no matter what I tried, I couldn't get to seal the leak which was near a seam in a place I just couldn't get easy access to. I did end up throwing it out a couple of years ago as it got worse and worse....

My advice is if you positively don't have storage for a rigid kayak, then obviously go for it. There is no doubt that being able to pack it up for transportation is a huge feature -and this may be the only way you can get out! Add in the fact you obviously don't need inflation bags for the kayak :smile: However, I do think inflatables have much less of a lifespan than rigids, and depending on use, I wouldn't bank on more than a couple of years of use. Assuming you aren't buying a top of the line inflatable (and even then I'm not sure) I would say avoid the ocean (certainly when there are lower temperatures) or rough water. Cruising along a canal, gentle river or pond is fine, but I don't think these are for rough water. Mind you, the kayaks I have are cheapie ones and I wouldn't dream of going out on the ocean with them either, but obviously there are some proper ocean kayaks out there.

To summarize: if you can buy rigid, I'd say do so. Otherwise, buy an inflatable but know there's more of a limited lifespan.

12boy

Guru
I have an old orange Sevylor which has no seats but does have wooden backrests, you simply sit in it. Takes about 10 minutes to inflate with a foot pump. I am lamer than the hubs of hell at paddling it but then I've maybe been in it 5 times for an hour or so per time, so I might improve with practice. It holds 2, or so, passengers, or has 2 backrests at least.
It fits in a plastic tub 40x25x20 inches or so along with some pumps so storage isn't a thing. For occasional use at the lake it is fine although I am a shore hugger, and I could go down our river no sweat. Only problem is my spastic attempts at paddling. My buddy has a Bob trailer and I have a couple of folders, a Brompton and a Xootr Swift, so we could lug it to the gravel pit lakes nearby, paddle around for a while and then trailer it home again. Could be fun.

Brains

Legendary Member
:smile: However, I do think inflatables have much less of a lifespan than rigids, and depending on use, I wouldn't bank on more than a couple of years of use.

We bought our current Sevylor Colorado 2 person inflatable canoe about 15 years ago.
It only gets used a few times each year, but still going strong

A pair of inflatable one person canoes bought by my Dad in around 1970-72 for us to use as kids are still in occasional use by his youngest grandchildren.

As long as they are looked after, 50+ years of use from an inflatable canoe is possible.

Last edited:
Top Bottom