Inflating Presta threaded valve tubes - a tip.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rrarider

Veteran
I've been successfully using Vittoria Ultralite 700c 19-23 tubes with a threaded Presta valve and a round locking collar for some time now. Whilst testing a new head for my track pump, I deflated both 25 mm tyres, did up the locking collar finger tight only and inflated both to the maximum recommended pressure as normal.

The net result was that both tubes were irreparably damaged, as the rubber round the valve base was torn and leaked air. At the risk of publicising my own stupidity, I advise readers not to tighten the little round collar when inflating from flat. Both tubes were not just punctured, they were ruined.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In fact you can leave them off completely.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Or do as most people do and throw away the unnecessary locking collar. In fact I try to buy tubes with unthreaded valves where possible, much tidier and the pumps get a better seal without damaging the rubber.

I doubt the damage was due to doing up the collar, must be something else at play here.

EDIT: I'm too slow, beaten by two other posts.....

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Well, you're wrong, because it was.
So the tubes were already in use, you deflated them, nipped up the locknut and re-inflated exactly as you had done previously, except used a new pump and this time the tubes failed.

It appears the thing at play would be the new pump as you have done the same thing previously with the old pump and not suffered the problem.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Tightening the lock-ring can pull the tube down into the well. With a narrow rim the tube will be tightly wedged between the beads by the valve stem. On inflation it will try to pull away from the valve, or push the tyre away from the rim. Either way, it's likely to go pop.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Throw them away, and the dust caps too - you'll go a lot faster once youve got rid of all that surplus weight :okay:.
I much prefer unthreaded valves too - I use Michelin Airxxxx tubes. Less wear on push-on chucks too

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I keep the locking collar on the valve but about 1-2mm away from the rim. I find, when inflating the tyre from flat or very low, that it stops the valve from disappearing inside the rim when attaching the pump head.

And I keep the dust caps on too: I've previously run my rear without one and the salt & grit from the roads caused the little barrel to seize solid. When I tried to undo it, it wouldn't budge so I couldn't top up the pressure. When I tried to gently ease it off with a pair of long-nose pliers the valve core snapped instead.

Top Bottom