Info: 1977 Dawes Galaxy Seatpost Dia is 26.3mm

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GuyBoden

Guru
For information purposes only, the seatpost diameter on a 1977 Dawes Galaxy is 26.3mm.
I have ordered a new seatpost, the diameter was stamped on the side of the old seatpost, which was very convenient.

These models of 1977 Dawes Galaxy have the same frame, so the same seatpost dia 26.3mm.
DAWESGalaxy.jpg

Last edited:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Are the earlier Galaxy frames made of plain gauge 531 then? My butted 531's are all 27,2 seatposts, because I can interchange them all between frames.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
Are the earlier Galaxy frames made of plain gauge 531 then? My butted 531's are all 27,2 seatposts, because I can interchange them all between frames.
Yes, I believe that the 1977 Dawes Galaxy frames are plain gauge 531.

I could take all the components off the bike and weigh it, but I'm not going to do that.:laugh:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
You'd also need another 25" known butted 531 frame to compare it's weight with. I daresay the size increments can make nearly as much difference as the tubesets.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The difference between 26.4 and 26.3 is mere polishing. I had a Campag 27.2 post that was nicely polished to the extent that it measured 27.0.

OP
OP
GuyBoden

GuyBoden

Guru
The difference between 26.4 and 26.3 is mere polishing. I had a Campag 27.2 post that was nicely polished to the extent that it measured 27.0.
This has not been my experience. I purchased a 26.4mm dia seatpost to replace the Dawes 26.3mm dia seatpost. I had to file and sand the post until it fit.

Top Bottom